Deco X50-5g issues with wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Tuesday
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

Good evening, there is something seriously wrong with the WiFi on the deco x50-5g, particularly the 2.4ghz. 

Ive been using tp-link products like the Mr600 4g+ with no issues whatsoever, but after upgrading to the deco, the nightmare started.

Connections on 5ghz are sometimes unstable, and some 2.4ghz devices can't access the Internet now after connecting to the router, even though they receive proper ip address, subnet mask, gateway and dns, with everything as it should, they simply can't access the Web. I've seen reports on reddit also, can't be a coincidence. 

It doesn't matter if I have a single network name, emitting in 2.4ghz+5ghz, just through  2.4ghz or just 5ghz, still the same.

Even In guest mode with 2.4ghz only, the issue occurs. 

There is something seriously wrong with this 350eur device, do please fix this ASAP. 

Like I said, there were no issues with tp-link mr600 4g+, mesh activated, with two re315.

The x50-5g by itself in a simple job, doesn't even get it right. I'll have to send it to warranty or return it if this doesn't get fixed soon. 

Thank you 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X50-5g issues with wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz
Wednesday

@Kaska_pt 

Hi

It is recommended that you refer to the following link to try to solve the problem:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/657816

Options
Wednesday

@Joseph-TP 

Thank you, but that is not it.

The instability is on wireless, not the 5g/lte.

Many people reported already similar problems with the wireless connections on 2.4ghz or by using singular ssid. 

Options
Wednesday

Today I've left the x50-5g only to serve as a 5G MODEM, connected it by ethernet cable to a new TP-LINK archer ax53, plus two extenders Re705x connected to the ax53 as a mesh system... Absolutely fabulous performance.

Still, the x50-5g is an absolute mess with its software, besides the faulty wireless connections, now I want to turn it off and I can't? Who the heck designed this software/firmware? Why remove such a well known and needed feature, from such an expensive device? 

Firmware update is needed, fast... 

Options
Thursday

@Kaska_pt 

Hi

Currently, Deco X50-5G does not support turning off main Wi-Fi, but I will provide feedback to the relevant departments to speed up the evaluation process.

Based on your first post, it seems that both 2.4G and 5G have instability issues. The following suggestions are for your reference:
1. You may insert the same SIM into another LTE device or even a smartphone, monitor for some time to confirm if the internet works fine and is stable; 

2. Launch the Deco app and go to More > Advanced > DHCP Server, change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, and change the Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

If the above suggestions still don't help, please kindly provide the following information:
1. How often does this issue happen? And are all clients unable to access the Internet when the problem occurs? Or some clients?
2. SIM carrier.
3. The screenshots of the internet settings before and after the issue happens (Deco app > More > Internet).

Options
Thursday

@Joseph-TP 

Joseph-TP wrote

@Kaska_pt 

Hi

Currently, Deco X50-5G does not support turning off main Wi-Fi, but I will provide feedback to the relevant departments to speed up the evaluation process.

Based on your first post, it seems that both 2.4G and 5G have instability issues. The following suggestions are for your reference:
1. You may insert the same SIM into another LTE device or even a smartphone, monitor for some time to confirm if the internet works fine and is stable; 

2. Launch the Deco app and go to More > Advanced > DHCP Server, change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, and change the Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

If the above suggestions still don't help, please kindly provide the following information:
1. How often does this issue happen? And are all clients unable to access the Internet when the problem occurs? Or some clients?
2. SIM carrier.
3. The screenshots of the internet settings before and after the issue happens (Deco app > More > Internet).

Hello

1 - It happens only with the Deco X50-5G, it didn't happen with the Archer MR600 4G+ and it does't happen with a smartphone, so it's definitely related with the X50-5G.

2 - Previously to my first post, I actually already changed the DNS address since it made actually made sense, because the 2.4Ghz devices would receive ip,subnet and gateway through DHCP,  and would not have access to the internet, so it looked like a DNS problem. I'm just not sure I've set those IP's your referred or the lan IP of the X50-5G.

Nevertheless the 5Ghz devices would always connect and have access, the issue was with the 2.4 ones.

I'll test it again with those DNS's and will report back.

Also and once again, please force the addition of the ability to disable the wireless lan, as it is simply a mandatory feature and certainly a simple one to implement through a firmware rollout.

Thank you

Options
Thursday

Update... I've set the dns remotely and looked good, but then decided to reboot the device when I got home, where upon reboot, the x50-5g couldn't register above 3G+ on the cell tower, in this case, the carrier is NOS from Portugal.

I then removed the simcard and placed it on my phone, where it actually took a few attempts between toggling airplane mode for it to be able to go above 3G+ back into 5G/LTE.

I installed the SIM once more on the x50-5g, 1st boot all good, 5g/lte OK, rebooted it in the name of science... Same thing, lost connection or couldn't go above 3G+.

Repeated the procedure with my phone, all good again, and again, after a few new toggles between airplane mode. Very bizarre.

Could it be a carrier issue, that affects mainly 2.4ghz devices for some reason? Because like I said, the dhcp always worked flawlessly, devices simply couldn't reach the Web.

Im writing and reading this, and it makes no sense to me but facts... 

Nevertheless and once again, In the name of science, I also have a Vodafone card, so decided to try it out with this other SIM... At this point, I'm all in into getting the facts and conclusions. 

With a Vodafone card and to my amaze, it worked perfectly, several reboots to force the issue again, but there is no issue whatsoever in achieving 5g speeds on the x50-5g.

I'm now thinking that the 2.4ghz devices wouldn't connect due to something related with the actual carrier, which for me and once again, doesn't make any sense, but my knowledge his limited on the matter, so... 

I'll maintain the test with the Vodafone card for another 24hours or more and I'll report back. 

I the meantime and regarding the request for the possibility to turn the WiFi off,    IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO So,    but through the router ip webui. 

Go to menu, advanced, system, system parameters, then simply uncheck Wi-Fi network and click save. That's it. 

Regards

Options
Friday

@Kaska_pt 

Hi

When you test, you could put the same SIM card on the phone and share the hotspot Wi-Fi with other 2.4G devices to test whether they can successfully access the Internet.
Please note that if your phone is an iPhone, please go to Settings > Personal hotspot to enable maximize compatibility. This step is to ensure that the hotspot Wi-Fi contains 2.4G.
Are all 2.4G devices getting IP but no internet connection? If possible, please briefly list the models of 2.4G devices.

Warm regards.

Options
Friday

@Joseph-TP 

I'm not being able to replicate the issue, either with the x50-5g or a hotspot.

One thing I'm seeing is altough the cell tower is the same, NOS is operating in band 20 and shows maximum strength, Vodafone is on band 21 with medium strength but superior speed and less latency. Will stick with the Vodafone card for now.

I'm strongly thinking it was an actual carrier problem, although it seems very unlikely, even more when it ould affect only 2.4ghz devices, like a printer and a solar inverter.

I'll return to the topic if necessary, thank you for tryng to assist.

Note: when the router is rebooted, the X50-5G wifi will turn on again by default, needs to be turned off manualy once again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 140

Replies: 8

Related Articles