WAN DNS Configuration in 4G/5G Mode for Deco Devices
WAN DNS Configuration in 4G/5G Mode for Deco Devices
2024-07-07 23:01:21
Tags: #VPN #DNS
Model: Deco BE65-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hey there,
I am using a TP-Link Deco BE65-5G for my apartment, along with an X50-5G to extend the mesh network (via LAN) where the BE65-5G's coverage is insufficient.

Yesterday, I noticed that while everything works fine in the office (connected via the X50-5G), I lose access to apps like Instagram, YouTube etc. when I am in the bedroom or living room (connected via the BE65-5G).

After a lot of troubleshooting, I realized the issue must be related to the DNS server. The BE65-5G uses the default DNS provided by Telekom, assigned by the SIM.

However, since the Deco X50-5G is connected via LAN and I have configured the Cloudflare DNS server (1.1.1.1 primary, 1.0.0.1 backup) in the DHCP settings, everything works smoothly once my mobile device automatically connects to it's mesh when nearby.

I am aware that I can manually change the DNS server on individual devices, but this is not always simple to implement on every device and is quite tedious, especially since we often have visitors and I don't want to change settings on their devices every time.

Using a router VPN is also not an option as I don't want to compromise on speed since there is ALSO no WireGuard VPN Protocol available in Settings (at least here in Europe).
I don't really get why there's no option yet to change the DNS in 4G/5G Mode on a $600+ router.
So please consider adding this feature soon since I don't want to rely on adding more hardware to my 1k deco setup just to have a usable connection.

Options
4 Reply
Re:WAN DNS Configuration in 4G/5G Mode for Deco Devices
2024-07-08 11:25:31

@C-Link 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Did you set Deco X50-5G as a satellite unit of Deco BE65-5G? or create a second Mesh network via X50-5G?

If Deco X50-5G is the satellite of BE65-5G, I think the mobile clients should use the same WAN/IPV4 DNS server assigned by SIM ISP when requesting external domain names.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-07-08 11:45:46

@David-TP first of all thanks for your support!
Second.. I'm sorry but I don't really have an answer to that since I don't understand the question.
All I can say is that I have a long LAN-Cable (about 50m) outgoing from the BE65-5G going into the X50-5G to extend the Mesh.
In the App-Settings I have the DHCP Server configured to use the cloudflare DNS.
I checked the DNS via a ping in Terminal on my Macbook and while I'm connected to the X50-5G or over LAN I can verify that it is using 1.1.1.1 but once I'm connected to my BE65-5G it uses "10.74.210.210" which is the DNS provided by SIM ISP.
I also verified that by connecting to the X50-5G with my iPhone everything works fine, connecting my iPhone via Ethernet using an adapter everything works fine but once I'm connecting to my BE65-5G over wireless lan it uses the carrier DNS and I'm unable to use said apps.

Options
2024-07-10 01:53:24

@C-Link 

Hi, thank you very much for your update.

I think your two Deco units should be under the same Deco Mesh system.

In this way, I'd like to follow up on your case via email and ask for the senior engineer for more advice.

Please check whether you have received my email.

Best regards.

Options
2024-07-10 02:04:30

@C-Link I did receive a mail thanks :)!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 269

Replies: 4

Voters 2

Tags