modem with multiple problems TD-8960N

2024-08-07 15:53:16
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

This is what happens; (some context) I had the modem stored away for some time, but recently I was experiencing connection problems on the second floor of my home where I work (main modem is on the ground floor), so I remembered the saved modem and thought maybe I can create an access point with it, (I'm sure most people here know the process since they're on other forums and it's pretty simple, that's NOT the main problem).

The problems start when I notice that when I turn on the modem and use it for a few moments (10-20 minutes) to configure the access point, turn it off and turn it back on, it stops emitting a wifi signal; That is to say (I clarify this in case I did not express myself well) regardless of whether or not it has an internet connection, it should pick up a wifi signal/wireless signal when it is turned on (or at least that is what I think) even if it does not have internet access, since there we would enter the field of the access point and that, as I said previously, is not the main focus of the problem.
Combined with the fact that it does not pick up a wifi signal/wireless connection when turning it back on, it stops allowing me to enter the configuration panel (192.168.1.1), surely many will think of the obvious, do a reset... well, it occurred to me too, the first time it worked without problems; 10 seconds after pressing the button all the lights blinked, factory settings restored, great. BUT guess what, when I reconfigured it, turned it off and on again, again the same thing; there is no wifi signal. After a while trying I say; I'll reset it again... but to my surprise, now the reset doesn't respond, I pressed it for about a minute without any response... I searched in forums and found (maybe some of you know) the 30-30-30 rule (for more information -> internet) this works and from then on it's the only thing that can make the modem reset.

But everything repeats itself; I reset it, configure it, turn it off, turn it back on and everything is the same, there is no wifi signal... I don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you very much for reading and for the time of those who respond to this <3

Clarification: the specific model is the TD-W8960N, but it didn't appear in the model table.

Options
2 Reply
Re:modem with multiple problems TD-8960N
2024-08-08 06:37:24

@SantyV 

From your description it seems that your modem went faulty.

Moreover, TD-W8960N is a very old device which is in the End Of Life list - details.

It's in your interest if you change this device with a new one, up-to-date device, improving your network security as well.

If I were to use TD-W8960N nowadays, I would use it only in bridge mode - details.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:modem with multiple problems TD-8960N
2024-08-09 02:36:57

@SantyV 

Hi, thanks for your sharing here.

I am afraid the device is broken.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 134

Replies: 2

Related Articles