Votes

Option to disable WiFi backhaul

2024-08-13 00:15:09 - last edited 2024-08-13 00:18:32
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 b 20240325

I came from https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/607876 and I can read on the 2nd comment " Hi, So far, the wireless Backhaul could not be disabled and there hasn't been a plan to support this feature either. "

The truth is that I have always had the same problem with some P4s and now with the XE75. When the wired backhaul is lost between the decos during rebooting a switch or disconnecting and reconnecting a cable automatically they recconect over the wifi creating a network loop and they never come back to the wired connection. You have to shut down or reboot one of the units to force the wired backhaul again.

It would be nice to have an option in the advanced settings to disable the wireless backhaul in order to prevent network loops when we're using the decos on AP mode, or change the way they operate to prioritize the wired connection.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Option to disable WiFi backhaul
a week ago

@ivimail 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

This feature has been reported to the senior engineers before but so far, it hasn't been approved yet.

For record, can I have the model number of the network switch here?

Thanks again and best regards.

Options
Re:Option to disable WiFi backhaul
a week ago

Hi again. This is not an specific switch brand/model related, it's just a network related issue and how the Deco system works. When there's a wired backhaul the decos are happy, but when they loose that wired comunication because a switch takes a few seconds to reboot, they connect wirelessly. It causes a network loop and when a dumb switch your'e f*cked, but with a smart or managed switch that supports STP/RSTP it just disconnect the port causing the loop. The main problem is that if the switch drops that port the decos can't try to restore the wired backhaul so you have forever two points of the network wirelessly connected instead of wired, so you have to power off and power on again one of the decos to restore the wired backhaul.

I think this problem can be solved with one of this methods:

- Manually (better than a default value) set how long the decos wait after the wired backhaul fails before try to connect wirelessly to allow the switch to start up (10-20 secs i.e.)

- An option to completely disable the wireless backhaul. I think this is the best option to people like me that I use all the time the decos hardwired to ethernet and I don't need any wireless satellite.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 92

Replies: 2

Voters 1