Block new connections to wifi

2024-08-15 03:50:54 - last edited 2024-08-15 07:28:43
Model: Archer AX23  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1

Hi,

Is there a way to block or have new connections to home WiFi need to be improved?

I'm using ax23 with tether app

When kids WiFi access gets automatically turned off they just disconnect and reconnect to WiFi and get a new address which is controlled by parental controls. Therefore rendering the parental controls useless.

Anyway round this?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Block new connections to wifi
2024-08-15 22:21:16 - last edited 2024-08-15 22:31:41

@Joelbendigo 

I would say yours seems to be having a glitch, 

I'm not sure as haven't don't this myself but I think you can set their devices to have static ip so In theory they shouldn't be able to get new addresses then in theory the family controls should work according to your settings

I just tried what you described with a few of my kids devices 

Samsung mobile, Huawei phone, Nintendo switch amd amazon tablet and all of them on my setup all come back on connected without Internet access 

Before I turned wifi off you can see the ! Next to wifi signal. 

Wifi turned off 

Wifi turning back on 

Wifi turned back on and showing the ! Next to the wifi signal. 

Out of curiosity how have you set up the parental controls? 

I have profiles set for each of my kids and I've set bed time and off time activated  and set at the same time on each. 

I don't have time limits activated and set to off as I beleive this still grants the devices allowed access if their daily allowance isn't fully used up yet so that could be a reason they are getting back online if that's activated 🤷🏼‍♂️. 

And like clock work their Internet cuts out and doesn't let them have it back unless I grant them extra allowed time. 

Plus if I beleive they've had more than enough Internet time or they start misbehaving I open their profiles and click the block button and that shuts off all Internet accessto their devices. 

If they have vpn's on their devices and active  that stops the controls/restrictions from working and they will still have free reign to all Internet access including adult sites, blocked sites ect including if the times are set for no Internet access. 

Not sure if your router has the option but I did comment on someone else's post who was having similar issue. 

I thought of a work around that if you turn on the guest wifi and re name it to 'kids' or leave it as guest wifi then connect your kids devices to the 'new' wifi, 

I would also advise going into the wifi settings of your kids devices amd select the forget wifi details on your current network so they can't just reconnect to that again. 

Then say at 9pm you can log into tether app and turn off the 'kids' wifi and no more wifi unless you turn it back on. 

Granted it is a pain having to keep logging back in to turn on and off but there won't be any issues of them possibly getting back on unless you physically turn the wifi back on. 

Options
2024-08-16 07:20:40

@Joelbendigo 

Hi

Parental control is restricted based on the device's MAC, but devices with private MAC addresses will change the MAC address to bypass this restriction.
It is recommended that you add all private MAC addresses of the device to the profile. Usually there will be different private MAC addresses for 2.4G and 5G connections.

Or you could also consider turning off private address:
For IOS devices: Setting -> WLAN -> tap on the blue info icon at the left of the deco Wi-Fi name -> disable the Private Address feature.

Options
a week ago

@Basboi85

Yeah they're pretty clever at working out ways around it, especially the teenagers.

Doesn't seem to matter what I do, they can just forget network and reconnect.

I've just started blocking any new connections that pop up and start using excessive data now and they start whinging. Literally have over 50 blocked macs coming from 2 phones. 

Irritating.

Don't mind the guest account idea though, I'll have to change the password on the other one is all, which is a pain  with all the smart home bits and pieces.

Options
a week ago

@Joelbendigo 

Yep, but there is always a loop hole somewhere and in fairness it's human nature. 

It's like playing the characters of the cartoon Tom amd Jerry. 

I even Googled how to get around parental controls and the list is endless so it's a losing battle really, 

That's why I thought of the remedy above as they can try and reconnect all they like with the new mac addresses ect but won't matter as the guest network will be down from a set time. 

I agree it's a massive pain in the rear having to change the passwords on all other devices ( I have a fair amount myself) as that would really annoy the life out of me but I think I would enjoy the satisfaction of watching them freak when the wifi goes offline and everything else is still connected. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 137

Replies: 4

Related Articles