Deco X60 not recognizing DHCP offer from ISP

2024-08-19 00:13:09
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20240522 Rel. 33652

Hi,

I've faced a problem difficult to troubleshoot this weekend.

My ISP is a Cable provider and I have my Deco X60 configured as a router behing the Cable Modem, which was configured as a bridge a long time ago.

What happened this weekend is that I lost connectivity to the Internet. I have rebooted the cable modem, the deco, and nothing seemed to stabilize the internet connection. Some sites were working, which was odd.

After some investigation, I've found that my WAN interface was not configured with IPv4 address. IPv6 was OK.

Tried to reboot again... tried to clone a mac from a local device on WAN... multiple attemps and nothing...

Then I decided to use wireshark to see what was going on...

X60 was sending DHCP discover, the ISP DHCP server was sending offer and it was being ignored... the X60 kept sending DHCP discover messages over and over again... some DHCP offers in between those messages, what indicates something went wrong with DHCP client implementation on Deco devices.

In summary: the X60 DHCP client was not configuring the WAN IPv4 address with the information sent by ISP DHCP server

To fix the issue, I configured the cable modem as router and disabled IPv6 on deco. The DHCP client can work with CM DHCP server.

But this is not the ideal scenario... I would like to know if there is a known bug with DHCP Client implementation on WAN interface with 1.2.8 Build 20240522 Rel. 33652 or 1.2.5 Build 20240106 Rel. 2319 releases (I tried both).

The X60 troubleshooting experience is very bad overall. The device should have a way to troubleshoot this problem natively. Getting an IP on WAN is the father of all problems.

Thanks, Gustavo

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X60 not recognizing DHCP offer from ISP
3 weeks ago

@Andre_BR 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'm not sure whether it is a known bug but if you would like to cooperate with us, I can escalate your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

If it is acceptable, could you please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:

1. May I know who is your internet service provider?

2. How about the model number of your cable modem?

3. Could you please attach a copy of the wireshark captured logs?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 74

Replies: 1

Related Articles