Archer AX72 Pro keeps dropping out

3 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX72 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi friends,

My router is linked up with PPPoE with full fibre to the house, I am fairly technical but don't know everything with my networking. My router seems to have all the right settings turned on but keeps dropping out in random times.

When the drop outs my phone will say connected without Internet and will take ~30s to go to normal.

I am running at wpa2 and have 3 tp link satalites in easy mesh.

It never happened before I took my bt hub out but only when I put this new system in!

All help is greatly appreciated 👷‍♀️🔨

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX72 Pro keeps dropping out
3 weeks ago

@SamL 

Hi

There are a few different cases related with unstable connection, including WAN connection unstable and wireless client devices unstable.

For WAN connection unstable (Router Internet LED turns red/orange occasionally):

1) Connect a PC directly into your modem to verify if your ISP Internet is stable.

2) Make sure the Ethernet cable between your modem and the Router is connected properly, replaced old cables with new ones.

3) Change the DNS Server of the Router, login the web management interface of the Router, go to Advanced > Network > Internet > Advanced Settings, change the two DNS Servers into 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8.

4) Go to Advanced > System > Firmware Update to upgrade the firmware of the Router.

For wireless client devices unstable:

1) Make sure the Router is properly placed, it should be put in open area instead of inside a cabinet or shelf.

2) Login the web management interface of the Router, go to Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings, change the wireless channel into another one.

3) For 2.4GHz wireless client devices, adjust 2.4GHz channel width into 20MHz, for 5G wireless client devices, adjust 5GHz channel width into 80MHz or 40MHz to avoid interference.

Options
Thursday

@SamL 

Have you had any luck stopping the drop outs? 

I swapped my BT router for the AX72 last December, as I was having issues with the BT discs working with my Apple HomePods, plus the network was generally unstable. Since day one I've been having the exact same issue as you, to the point TP Link sent me a new router, which didn't fix the problem. 
I think I've tried everything suggested on the web & have stripped out and reconnected everything / changed cables at least five times. 

I was down to about two drop outs a day; one in the morning and one at about 22:06 hrs every day, but since getting back from holiday, it's almost  every hour. 

I've got three RE550 range extenders in access point mode (not on easy mesh), on Cat6 backhaul. Twos are located in extremities of my house and the other at the end of the garden in the wife's office. 

I've temporarily switched back to using the BT router and have not had an issue since. Which has proved to the wife the router is at fault. 

Either, the router is the issue (both have had the same issue) or it's something BT are doing. The drop outs were at almost the same time every day, which is strange, but either could be at fault. 

We're on BT Full fibre 900. 

Options
Thursday

@SSG-4326 

Hi,

Im not sure what I exactly did but the drop outs stopped a few days after. 

I reset my router, turned smart connect off in the wireless settings.  And it has worked with no issues ever since.

I first persumed it was an issue with too many devices on the same channel so hoped that the auto mode would sort itself out.

I have also set the security to wpa2 psk and not wpa3/2

I have a two satalites, one in easy mesh and the other as an access point. The access point only uses the same wireless password and name and I haven't changed any other settings on it.

I will email some of the wireless settings I'm using on my 72 pro as photos attached if you would like me to.

Also make sure that your PPPoE is setup with the username and password correctly.

email: lawrencesam525@gmail.com 

Options