LG TV buffering issues

LG TV buffering issues
LG TV buffering issues
2024-08-22 21:57:10 - last edited 2024-08-24 19:37:24
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hello,

I have an LG TV connected via ethernet to my Deco X50, one of 3 in the house.  Virginmedia cable to the house with typical download of about 150mbs. There about 15 clients on the mesh network.  We get buffering of the TV watching iPlayer and Netflix.  I usually have to reboot the Deco and it fixes the problem but this happens again a day or two later.  I do have a reboot daily schedule on the Deco.  Any advice would be helpful. I have follwed the advice of LG website but no better. 

Thank you.

Speigal. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:LG TV buffering issues-Solution
2024-08-23 04:00:30 - last edited 2024-08-24 19:37:24

@Speigal 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Here are some sugggestions for your reference:

1. please change the IPV4 DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4.

2. enable QOS and set LG TV as "High priority".

By the way, is Deco X50 the only DHCP router into the network? Would there also be a Virgin Media hub in front of Deco?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Sunday - last edited Sunday

@Speigal Here is an update. All working now on wifi since I disconected the ethernet link to the Deco. I don't know why this worked!

Speigal

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
2024-08-23 04:00:30 - last edited 2024-08-24 19:37:24

@Speigal 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Here are some sugggestions for your reference:

1. please change the IPV4 DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4.

2. enable QOS and set LG TV as "High priority".

By the way, is Deco X50 the only DHCP router into the network? Would there also be a Virgin Media hub in front of Deco?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:LG TV buffering issues
2024-08-23 07:15:01

@David-TP 

Thanks.  Yes there is a Virginmedia hub feeding the Deco. Apart from phones and laptops we have Ring doorbell, cameras, Nest thermostat and a few smart lightbulbs/sockets all on a IoT network. 

I have changed the IPV4 to your suggestion. I have already added the TV to QOS as an accelerated client but not enabled scenes. I presume I select "streaming ad media"? DO I then narrow down the apps to those used on the TV?  Household members just myself and spouse but we could be watching TV and surfing on a laptop or  using iphones at the sametime. 

Can you briefly explain the reason for the new IPV4 settings to a layman?

Thank you for your help. I will report back after the weekend on results. 

Speigal. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@Speigal 

Well it seemed to have worked for 2 days but now reverted to same problem with the TV displaying an error code and failinng to load Netflix or BBC iplayer. The speed of wif to the LG TV is exceedingly slow on the app.  I have to reboot the Deco and then it seems OK.  I have set the Deco to daily reboot over night but this does not help. Very frustrating but I think the problem is with the Deco and not the LG TV.  Would I be better to connect via the wifi rather than ethernet?

Speigal. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@Speigal 

I wonder if Main Deco is too busy and that causes issues.

You said you have Virgin Media hub. If you haven't changed its settings, it behaves as a router. If this is correct, you can reduce load on Main Deco by configuring Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Main Deco must be connected to Virgin Hub running in Hub's default mode (which is router/gateway).

-----------

Also, in Deco app open info page for Satellite Deco to which LG TV is connected and check two things:

1. You do see LG TV connected to that Deco in the list of connected devices and connection type is Ethernet;

2. This Satellite Deco has good link to Main Deco, meaning Signal is Strong, Medium or Fair. If it is Weak, Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco.

Example of connection to Main Deco with Fair signal:

--------------------

Usually, Ethernet link from TV to Deco is better than WiFi. I have Sony TV and whatever I did, it always had minor buffering issues when connecting over WiFi. I wired it to Deco with Ethernet cable and buffering issues went away.

Options
3 weeks ago
Thanks. My Virgin media hub is in bridge mode. The TV is connected via ethernet to the main Deco. When working the LG TV shows up on the list of clients but not always when I am having problems. Speigal
Options
3 weeks ago

@Speigal 

Deco will not run in Access Point mode with Hub in bridge mode, so don't make change I suggested unless you restore Hub to its original mode. 

If LG TV appears and disappears, replace Ethernet cable connecting it to Deco with different one, who knows, the problem may be there. 

These are all recommendations I can give you, maybe someone else could have more ideas. 

Options
3 weeks ago

One more thing: have you checked Signal in Satellite Deco, and what it says?

Options
a week ago

Well so far nothing has helped still buffering issues with LG Smart TV. So yesterday I removed the ethernet link to the Deco and simply connected via WiFi. I have made high priority. To day all seems to be working well with no buffering issues! I will monitor and report back in a few days but just wonder if there is an issue with the Ethernet link confusing the Deco until I reboot, which I was doing everytime I used the TV. Of interest the TV is not always selecting the nearest Deco. 

Speigal. 

Options
Sunday - last edited Sunday

@Speigal Here is an update. All working now on wifi since I disconected the ethernet link to the Deco. I don't know why this worked!

Speigal

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 218

Replies: 9

Related Articles