Ethernet speeds

Ethernet speeds

Ethernet speeds
Ethernet speeds
3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased the Deco BE75 and have set it up in access point mode. I can't seem to connect it directly to my optical unit, and from my research it seems my isp requires that I use their modem. (Japan's SoftBank 10g VIA NTT flets, if someone happens to know a way to cut out their router). The router only has one 10gbe LAN connection, so that's plugged into my main Deco BE75 upstairs. My rental apartment has wires in the wall which I'm using as an Ethernet backhaul to the second unit downstairs. The connection to the second unit is as follows:

Optical Unit (10g Port)

| Cat.7 Cable

ISP Router (10g WAN)

ISP Router (10g LAN)

| Cat.7 Cable
Deco BE75 Main Unit (10g Port)

Deco BE75 Main Unit (2.5g Port)

| Cat.7 Cable

= Wall Jack

| ??

= Wall Jack

| Cat.7 Cable

Deco BE75 Second Unit (10g Port)

I don't know what goes on in the walls, but outside I'm using Cat.7 cables. The issue I'm having is, I'm not sure what speed the backhaul is connecting at. In the app it shows "Strong" with a cable icon, but what does that mean?  100mbps, 1gbps, 2.5gbps?  Is there a place to see it?  The units don't have Ethernet activity/connection LEDs, and the app just shows connection method with no details. Am I getting the full 2.5gbps downstairs?  How can I verify for sure?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Ethernet speeds
3 weeks ago

@NikkoToska 

Hi,

The cable icon in Deco APP means the satellite Deco BE75 is transmitting data with the main one via Ethernet cable.

The APP will not show the speed between the Deco units. You can connect a wired device to the 2.5G port on the satellite Deco BE75 and test the speed you can get.

It is recommended to test here: speedtest.net

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Thanks for the reply.  I had been doing that, but speed tests are so spotty that sometimes I would get 400mbps, other times 700mbps, and all over the board.  I finally got a speed test server to give me 2,000mbps, so it seems like it is working, but it's such basic information I don't know why "Strong" couldn't be replaced with the actual connection speed while using Ethernet.  Hopefully that can be a feature request.

Oh, and it would also be nice for wired devices to be able to show their connection speed in the connected client list right below the ethernet icon.  Either a 10g, 2.5g, 1g, 100mb right below the connection.  There are no other indicators, so something in the app would be nice.

Options
22 hours ago

@NikkoToska 

> My rental apartment has wires in the wall which I'm using as an Ethernet backhaul to the second unit downstairs.

This is the most likely problem. Depending on the age of the apartment or cabling retrofit, as well as building plan and therefor cable length, the signal quality may not be high enough for 10GbE traffic. What happens in that case, depends: devices could negotiate lower speed, like 1GbE or 2.5GBASE-T or 5GBASE-T, but that's no guaranteed; another possibility is higher error rate, with retransmissions which may look like latency spikes to the end user; yet another, although rarer, is the connection going up and down. I'm not sure what Deco does in the latter case, perhaps switches to wireless backhaul and back to wired?

Perhaps someone from tp-link can advise on how to interpret status lights and status in the app to exclude the possibility of older cabling giving you grief.

The other option is to get someone with a cable tester to visit your place and check the cabling.

Options