Homeshield Sleep Time not working

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20240619 rel.72016

So, my two boys have PS5s, sleep time is set for midnight to 6am during the holidays, however, after midnight they are still online and playing games over the internet, indefinitely, I ask them how is this possible and they're telling me as long as they don't exit the game after sleep time is on they do not get disconnected from the internet, what are they up to ?

A few caveats

The router time is correct

The MAC addresses are correct

If I manually block the devices the internet disconnects immediately.

The firmware is up-to-date.

I've tried Offtime too and it's the same result.

I know the difference between am, pm, 12 hour v 24 hour clock.

The connection is WiFi not Ethernet

Can someone please assist ?

Options
28 Reply
Re:Homeshield Sleep Time not working
2 weeks ago

@awunited 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

When the issue happens, besides the games, can your children get access to other APPs or websites?

May I confirm the meaning of "the same results" from your when you mentioned "I've tried Offtime too and it's the same result."?  Your children still can get access to the internet or games? If so, it is suggested to follow Q2 in this guide to check whether random MAC is enabled on their devices. 

You may also follow this guide to double-check your settings.

Options
2 weeks ago

Hello @awunited 

It sounds like your boys have found a way to stay connected to the internet and continue gaming even after the sleep time you’ve set. Here’s a brief explanation of what might be happening:

When you set a sleep time on the PS5, it typically triggers a console shutdown or activity pause after the designated time. However, if the game remains open and active, it might not disconnect them from the internet, especially if the PS5 is still in rest mode rather than fully shutting down.

Here's what could be happening:

1. Game in Background: As long as the game remains active in the background, the PS5 may continue to maintain an internet connection. This is because certain games or applications can keep running in the background or stay connected while the console is in rest mode.

2. Rest Mode: The PS5’s rest mode can allow certain activities to continue, like downloading updates or keeping online connections active, depending on the settings. If the console is only in rest mode, it may not fully enforce the sleep time settings as you expect.

3. Network Configuration: It’s possible they’ve adjusted network settings or used features to bypass or extend their online time. This could include settings related to internet connectivity or power management.

To address this, you might consider:

• Adjusting Console Settings: Ensure the PS5 is set to fully shut down rather than just entering rest mode after the designated sleep time.

• Parental Controls: Use the parental controls available on the PS5 to enforce stricter online activity limits and manage game times more effectively.

• Communication: Have a conversation with your boys about the importance of adhering to the sleep schedule and understanding the rules you’ve set.

If you need further assistance, you may also consult the PS5 user manual or support for detailed guidance on managing sleep settings and online activities.

Best regards,
Aqsa

Options
2 weeks ago

@Marvin_S this is excellent advice, thank you, random MAC might be what they are up to, I'll check and I'll also check if I can surf the internet on the built in browser.

I'll get back to you.

Options
2 weeks ago

@husnain11221 thank you for the reply, very detailed, thank you.

Unfortunately my issue is with the router not the PS5, the boys accounts are adult accounts, I have been contemplating downgrading them to child i.e the one off change of DOB and they have been warned. Originally I set up the accounts as adult because I didn't really understand how a child account works re. Asking for permission to play games rated over their age.  Also my previous Asus router did not have the issue I am having. They're accounts emails forward to my email and I have their GMail accounts active in my inbox, we are in the PS family group so I see what they are installing and I am actively monitoring the Tplink homeshield.

On communication, I have always spoken to the two of them regarding the need to adhere to downtime as well as all aspects of internet safety, I have Yandex activated, Google family for their phones/tablets which as well as downtime allows me to monitor the apps they are installing, what they are searching and which sites they are visiting, i have so far blocked my teenager from so many xxx sites, private search engines and harmful apps, we have had a deep conversation about all aspects of xxx.  I really am taking online safety seriously. 

Options
2 weeks ago
It’s clear you’re taking online safety and monitoring seriously, and it sounds like you’ve implemented a comprehensive approach to manage their internet usage and ensure their safety. Given that the issue is with the router, it might be worth exploring router settings or firmware updates that could address the specific problem you’re encountering. If downgrading their accounts to child profiles is a viable option, it might offer more control over their online activity and help enforce downtime rules. Additionally, checking if the new router has parental control features or security settings that can be adjusted to your needs might be beneficial.
Options
2 weeks ago
Hello again, yes the issue is with the router and the homeshield family settings, firmware is all up to date. I'll figure it out. Thank you
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@awunited 

Hi, did you figure out the problem? Please share more details if you still need help.

Welcome to read this thread to know about our Tether KidShield Test Recruitment.

Options
a week ago

@Marvin_S hello Marvin, I've been away working for the week, I'll check when I get home and get back to you.

Options
a week ago

@awunited 

Your not the only one who has this issue, 

My teenage son seems to be able to do this aswell, 

I have both off time and bed time enabled and yet my son seems to be able to still play online and talk over mic. 

I was convinced he had a vpn on either his xbox and ps4 but from what I understand you can't. 

I've pulled him on it a few times and he said that if he didn't exit the match/game he could keep online somehow. 

I can't say if it's still doing it as I've confiscated most of his electricals until his attitude and behaviour change,

3 weeks in his still digging his heels in and I'm not budging a mm.

When he comes out his cess pit of a room I'll ask him again to deffo see if I got it right or there was something else they do to get around it. 

Options
a week ago

@Basboi85 

He's literally just showed up in my living room amd I asked him, 

He said his PlayStation 4 instantly cuts off at the cut off times. 

His xbox on the other hand, he said as long as he stays on the same game in the same session with the same people it will keep working but as soon as someone else leaves or joins it cuts it out. 

He also just said he can't get a vpn on either his xbox or ps4, 

He did also say that if he activates his vpn on a tablet/phone say 3 mins before cut off time his tablet/phone will still work, 

But.......

where I have 3xax72 routers (1x main 2xAP)

If he activates the VPN on my upstairs AP and he comes downstairs and his device switches over to my downstairs when it's past his cut off time his VPN will de activate as it loses connection with the top floor AP and then it reconnects to the bottom floor  the parental controls kick in before the Vpn can activate again and then parental controls work as it should. 

All of his devices have been added to his own profile with the wired and wireless ip/mac addresses for each of his devices 

Options