Deco M5 - Guest network bandwidth doesn't work properly

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.8 Build 20240719 Rel. 70981

Hi,

I've configured guest network some time ago and I just wanted to limit network bandwidth. I have Vodafone 500/50Mbps internet, it is stable, no issues. So I configured on Deco M5 Download Bandwidth 20Mbps and Upload Bandwidth 10Mbps. However, when I measure the results it limits the bandwidth to around 70/50Mbps and not to 20/10.

What can be done to fix it?

I have latest FW, all the Deco's are restarted on weekly basis but this doesn't work for months (I've tested it few months back, then again few weeks back and now). During this period there was several FW updates and restarts already...

Thank you.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Guest network bandwidth doesn't work properly
a week ago

@Kowax 

Hi,

So is it working normally before, and the issue comes out after you set up the guest network?

Please try to disable QoS and then enable it again.

If it still cannot work, please also offer a screenshot of the settings.

Besides, what is the network topology?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
a week ago

@Sunshine it was never working. I tried it several times during long time period with same results. Off and on doesn't work. See screenshots in attachment.

File:
deco copy.docxDownload
Options
a week ago

@Kowax 

Hi,

Thank you for the information

Please check this device MAC when it connects to main network and guest network. If the MAC addresses are different, you need to set up another profile with the other MAC address.

If the issue still exists, please provide us with a screenshot here, showing the current speed is out of limits.

Network>Online Clients>this specific client.

Besides, may I know the model number of this device with this issue?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
a week ago

@Sunshine Hi, please see attachment. First two screenshots are from measurements of main wifi network 500/50Mbit. Third and fourth when i switched to guest network which is still limited to 20/10Mbit. MAC didn't change as you can see.

Download is slightly limited and upload still the same. Tested from iphone 15 or are you asking about Deco M5 device?

When I connect from notebook to guest wifi i observe same behavior. It works 100/50Mbit on guest even though it is limited to 20/10....

File:
Deco.docxDownload
Options
Saturday

@Kowax 

Hi,

Please make sure that VPN is disabled when you test. 

And you can also update your Deco with the latest beta firmware here, and check if it can help resolve the issue.

Options
Saturday

@Sunshine There is no VPN on notebook where I observe same behavior like on mobile. However, I will try beta firmware and will test again together with turned off VPN on mobile. I will let you know.

Options
Monday - last edited Monday

@Sunshine Hi, I did firmware update to Build 20240826 on all 6 Decos. Guest network settings is still set to 20/10Mbps but when I did a new test it still shows much higher (144/48Mbps). See attached screenshot.

Options
Yesterday

@Kowax 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I'd like to follow up on your case via email and ask the senior engineer for more advice.

Please check whether you could receive my email.

Best regards.

Options
Yesterday

@David-TP Hello, I received other email with technician in CC. Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 166

Replies: 9

Related Articles