Cannot clone modem

Cannot clone modem

Cannot clone modem
Cannot clone modem
Tuesday - last edited Thursday
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi there. A while ago I got a WPA4220 KIT. And, basically, I can't get it to clone my modem settings. The adapter and the extender paired no problem, so that's how I've been using it, but I'm getting zero speed boost using the TP-LINK WiFi signal (in fact, it's significantly slower than my home network). 

So to clone it, I've tried

1) Using the WPS button on the modem and the clone button on the extender. The two lights blink for a few seconds, then they both stay solid for a few seconds, then the extender light goes out and starts blinking again, indefinitely.

2) Using the TP-Link app on the phone. Whenever I run it, it simply tells me I have no connected compatible devices, even when checking on the TP-Link network (rather than my home network).

3) Usung the utility on my laptop. When I run it, it correctly identities my adapter and extender, but there's no option to change the wireless settings on my extender.

4) Using the web browser. No matter what I do here, I just get brought to the page I've pictured below. 

Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot clone modem-Solution
Wednesday - last edited Thursday

@Bertaut 

Hi,

Recent versions of the popular web browsers will often activate "Secure DNS" by default. 

However, this feature renders the forwarding to management pages of local network devices via a domain name inoperative.

In such case the management page needs to be either opened via the device's actual IP address (in the format http://192.168.*.* ) or "Secure DNS" needs to be deactivated in the web browser's settings.

If you don't know the IP address of the TL-WPA4220, then you can find it by following section 3.1.1 of the User Guide for your product https://static.tp-link.com/TL-WPA4220(UN)_V1_UG_1478156188020q.pdf

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Cannot clone modem
Wednesday

@Bertaut 

Hi,

Please refer to this guidance to change the WIFI name on Utility.

How to customize wireless settings on tpPLC Utility (new logo)

If it cannot work with Utility, please login to its web to change.

When you try to login, please make sure you have connect to the PLC WIFI, or connect via Ethernet cable.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@Sunshine Neither method works. As I said, on the utility, there's no option to change wireless settings; and I can't access the management page on my browser. I just keep getting the page I've pictured above.

Options
Re:Cannot clone modem-Solution
Wednesday - last edited Thursday

@Bertaut 

Hi,

Recent versions of the popular web browsers will often activate "Secure DNS" by default. 

However, this feature renders the forwarding to management pages of local network devices via a domain name inoperative.

In such case the management page needs to be either opened via the device's actual IP address (in the format http://192.168.*.* ) or "Secure DNS" needs to be deactivated in the web browser's settings.

If you don't know the IP address of the TL-WPA4220, then you can find it by following section 3.1.1 of the User Guide for your product https://static.tp-link.com/TL-WPA4220(UN)_V1_UG_1478156188020q.pdf

Recommended Solution
Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@woozle 

Hey, thanks for the info. So I got into the management page via the method you suggested, although the layout of the page looks completely different from all the videos I've seen. There, I changed the SSID from TP-LINK_A5... to my home network name. Sure enough, thr Tp-link network is gone from my list of available networks, but the clone light on the extender is still blinking. So, is it done?

Options
Wednesday

@Bertaut 

According to the user guide "rapidly" blinking means "Wi-Fi is working properly" and blinking "once every second" means "Wi-Fi cloning is in process".

But even if it was still in progress, all that cloning does is to copy the SSID and password from the router's Wi-Fi to the TL-WPA4220's Wi-Fi. The result would be the same as typing it manually in the management page.

By the way, don't forget to also set the correct password under "Wireless Security" and verify "WPA2-PSK" is selected.

TP-Link has sold several iterations of the TL-WPA4220 over the last ten years or so. Newer versions than yours have a differently looking managemant page.

Options
Thursday

@woozle I did all that and it certainly seems to have done the trick. I'm still getting "no devices connected" on the app, but I'm not overly worried about that. Thanks very much for your advice. Really appreciate it good sir.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 93

Replies: 6

Related Articles