Powerline over circuit brakers

Yesterday
Model: TL-WPA7617 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello Community!

I want to use a powerline kit to extend wifi from an upstairs apartment to a basement storeroom. There are 2 concrete floors separating the areas and no clean way to route a cable.

The powerline "source" unit will have to go through the main distribution board, crossing 2 circuit breakers - the one the socket is on, and the one the storeroom is on.

The power then goes down to the storeroom and crosses another circuit breaker there.

The total wire distance is about 15 meters.

I read conflicting posts, one saying that "it won't work by design", the other that the V2 standard can cross the breakers.

Will appreciate if anybody can shed light on this

Options
1 Reply
Re:Powerline over circuit brakers
Yesterday

@WilJo 

Hi,

Where I live it is very usual that the wall sockets of different rooms have separate circuit breakers, which means the Powerline signal passes through two circuit breakers on its way from one room to another room.
A third circuit breaker would certainly add a bit more signal losses, but I don't see it being a significant problem.

But nonetheless, predicting the performance of Powerline adapters in advance is pretty much impossible. Therefore, buying from a retailer who has a good return policy can be worthwhile. 

By the way, the phrase "won't work by design" is more commonly used when it comes to wall sockets being wired to different phases of a 3-phase electric supply. Like, if a building is connected to 3-phase power, then different floors or section of the building are usually wired to different phases, for the purpose of balancing the load between the three phases. This is a big obstacle for Powerline adapters.

Options