FTP server accessible from WAN but not LAN & filezilla problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-08-23 03:51:21
Region : UK

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 0.6 v000e.0 Build 130305 Rel.74370n

ISP : BT

Hi all,
I've recently moved from my old BT homehub 2 to the n600 adsl+ router.
Before the upgrade, I had (and still have) a raspberry pi running vsftpd (an FTP server) with passive mode configured on ports 56700-56800 and the listen port is 56789. I had those ports forwarded on the BT homehub and everything had worked perfectly. I also had a dynamic dns configuration.
After installing the tp-link router, I enabled both ipv4 and ipv6 firewalls (I don't use ipv6, but just in case) and forwarded the 56700-56800 ports to the server. (And I configured the dynamic dns also.)
From that momment it had seemed that the server was working normally, as ftptest.net could access it, and I had a friend try to download files.
However, for some reason, when I try to connect to the server from a local computer, nothing works. I tried using both the internal ip and the dynamic address, but still could not get a connection. Windows explorer displays the *extremely* useful message "Windows cannot access this folder" or else gives an error at the passive mode command (that is only when I use the internal ip).
I normally used filezilla, but for some reason I can't configure it to work. It just keeps timing out after the LIST command for any and every server, giving a 503 error.
On a small (and possibly useful) side note, SSH connections to my server work fine when I use the internal ip, but not when I use the external one (yes, I DID forward port 22!!!)
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance! :D

P.S.: Please don't post messages telling me that I can use the router as an ftp server.
Options
5 Reply
Re:FTP server accessible from WAN but not LAN & filezilla problems
2013-08-24 17:06:56
Hi.
"I tried using both the internal ip and the dynamic address, but still could not get a connection."
Which internal IP and dynamic address have you tried? The internal IP of the server?
Options
2013-08-28 08:29:56

moon wrote

Hi.
"I tried using both the internal ip and the dynamic address, but still could not get a connection."
Which internal IP and dynamic address have you tried? The internal IP of the server?

Yes, I tried the servers internal (192.168.1.something) IP. And I also tried connecting using my dynamic dns address (example.no-ip.biz) (both had worked with the BT home hub)
Options
2013-08-28 10:20:50
Not sure if it is the filezilla issue. To connect to the server from a local computer, you can open the web browser, type in address ftp://LAN IP, press on enter, and then check if you can access the server in this way. If you have changed the default service port of FTP, the address will be ftp://LAN IP:port.
Options
2013-09-02 10:11:03

alisa wrote

Not sure if it is the filezilla issue. To connect to the server from a local computer, you can open the web browser, type in address ftp://LAN IP, press on enter, and then check if you can access the server in this way. If you have changed the default service port of FTP, the address will be ftp://LAN IP:port.

It worked, I can connect to the server through chrome, but I can't even upload files with chrome's basic ftp...
Windows explorer had never required any configurations for ftp connection either. Maybe there's a clue in that? :confused:
I'm really at my wit's end. Is this a firmware bug perhaps? I have spent another two hours googling to no avail... :(
Options
2013-10-06 19:11:34
Welcome to the world of TPLink! I believe you have encountered a problem known as NAT loopback that for some reason TPLink have decided is NOT a requirement for this modem/router and seem to ignore requests to enable it. There was a work around using SSH that has been disabled in the latest firmware upgrade.
Good luck if you can find a way of making this work or get TPLink to enable it - I would love to know if you manage.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1912

Replies: 5