Mr

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mr

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mr
Mr
2014-11-15 20:31:33
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-8616

Hardware Version : V8

Firmware Version : 9.1.0.4v 002e Build 140804

ISP :

RE AC1200 ADSL2+ modem router aka Archer D5. I'll have to check my profile etc to see if I can correct the information in the header.

First the good news, it is (so far) a vast improvement on my old BT Homehub2 in terms of signal strength and speed. It works nicely with my old, spare Win XP PC and with my wife's iPAD. Both channels and ethernet (no ethernet on the iPAD of course). Time will tell whether it solves my major dropout and slow service difficulties.

BUT with my Win 8.1 PC I have problems. I had a lot of trouble setting up - including IDtenT issues (!). I can now get ethernet and wireless on 2.4GHz, no evidence of a 5GHz channel. I cannot change the router password without losing the wireless connection so I am stuck on the original, weak one nb I can alter the password and the iPAD or Win XP hardware work well.

I have tried a load of things, I updated the firmware (9.1.0.4v 002e Build 140804) - reset, setting up again from scratch, changed cables, removed my AV and firewall, etc, etc.

I'm trying to exploit the manual but I'm not very wireless savvy so I could do with help.

Thanks

Sandy
Options
3 Reply
Re:Mr
2014-12-24 14:30:32
Hi there. What is the exact problem you are encountering? You description is a little vague..
If you want to set up the 5GHz Wi-Fi, but you cannot see it on your Win 8.1. You can try the following:

1. Ensure your computer itself is 5GHz capable
2. Try different 5GHz channels on D5. Navigate to Wireless 5GHz --> Basic Settings menu, choose the correct region, and then try channel 36~48 or 136~161. You may need to try several times to find a stable channel.
Options
TP Link Archer D5
2014-12-24 22:09:03

Tobacco wrote

Hi there. What is the exact problem you are encountering? You description is a little vague..
If you want to set up the 5GHz Wi-Fi, but you cannot see it on your Win 8.1. You can try the following:

1. Ensure your computer itself is 5GHz capable
2. Try different 5GHz channels on D5. Navigate to Wireless 5GHz --> Basic Settings menu, choose the correct region, and then try channel 36~48 or 136~161. You may need to try several times to find a stable channel.

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond. All fixed now. The problems were down to a combination of lack of familiarity with router jargon/procedures, brevity of the set up instructions (I found the online manual which is much better) and simple idiocy. I routinely bite of more than I can chew when I mess with my PC - but I learn a lot as a result.

WiFi at 5Ghz has been going constantly at 9.8Mbs (vs the previous variability of 0 to a very occasional 6Mbs), no dropouts at all and reaches the necessary parts of a large house without issues.

I'm now a happy bunny!

Sandy
Options
Re:Mr
2015-01-06 16:24:58
Great job and great speed
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 342

Replies: 3

Related Articles