Setting up TD-W9980 with BT Infinity Replace homehub 5.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-16 23:06:54
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT Infinity

Hi - just a bit of info for BT Infinity users wishing to use this TD-W9980 VDSL router to replace the home hub 5 (and not need the openreach modem as it supports VDSL)

I was scratching my head for 2 days as most forums say leave the password blank & add vlan settings to 101 (no need)

1. Use the quick setup function - everything defaults correctly.

username - bthomehub @ btbroadband.com
password - bt

lowercase for both.

Yes you can plug this straight into the same socket the HH5 was (and use the same cable - as its longer than the one TP-Link provide!)

1st time I've posted on a forum - but wanted to do my bit and save others the frustration I've encountered!

Hope this helps.

Jippit
Options
5 Reply
Re:Setting up TD-W9980 with BT Infinity Replace homehub 5.
2015-01-20 14:32:19
Kudos to Jippit and the post.
Options
Ace-a-mundo
2015-01-26 22:20:57
Many thanks for the info - I'm having the same conversion form BTHH5 to TP.

(later)

Just to confirm Tippet's post worked for me, very easy to set up - only slight complication that I had no ethernet port for the initial config, but easily overcome by reading the wifi password on the bottom of the case.
Also worth pointing out that this does allow me to connect to a corporate VPN (the last firmware update on the BT HH 5 stopped that).
Thanks.
Options
Kudos
2015-12-30 01:44:47
Just Registered To Confirm To Users As Of December 2015 This Post Still Works

Thanks Jippit
Options
BT HomeHub5 and model TD-W9980
2016-01-15 20:12:02
I have installed the modem using Quick Set up - but under "verify router settings" it "failed to verify"

Under PPPoE settings I did not enter values for Service Name, Static IP, or another item the name I do not recall
Under Encapsulation I did not know whether to enter Vc-Mux or LLC
I did not know what values to enter under VPI and VCI

I do not understand the attached post "no ethernet port for initial configuration - so used the wi fi password on the unit" and think this is where the problem may be. Can you please expand on this

I am assuming I dont need to use any of the SSID or password data speciifc to the BT Home hub modem. As per this link I have just started with [EMAIL="bthomehub@btbroadband.com"]bthomehub@btbroadband.com[/EMAIL] and the "bt" password.
I have not used "BTHub5-H5Q8" anywhere on the set up

I use BT Infinity 1 and am not sure if I have bought the right model number - the lights on the modem did however work as required and so I did appear to have a good connection with BT

I am a real novice here and any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in anticipation

Barry - Sussex
Options
Re:Setting up TD-W9980 with BT Infinity Replace homehub 5.
2016-01-15 23:37:13
I am having a problem installing my TP modem to my BT Home HUb5.It cannot verify Router settings Can you please expand on what you did with the wi fi password on the bottom of the case (presumably the TP modem unit)

Thanks in anticipation

Barry
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 791

Replies: 5

Related Articles