Restoring Settings after Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-02 23:59:26
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

ISP : Zen Internet

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n
Hardware Version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

I am contemplating updating firmware to TD-W8980_V1_140919 (Is this the correct file?)

I have done a backup of the settings.

I notice in the readme it says to backup by writing down all the settings, and then manually reprogram all the settings back in after upgrading firmware. Why can I not just restore a backup of the settings?

This seems a rediculous method of upgrading firmware and makes it a very time consuming proceedure!

Reason for wanting to upgrade is that I have to power off and on the router every single day, sometimes twice a day as the wifi goes unresponsive, and web interface locks up.
This could quite possibly be the least reliable router I have ever owned...
Options
2 Reply
Re:Restoring Settings after Firmware Update
2015-03-03 17:33:08
You can restore the settings using the backup file because it doesn't say that the configure file of old firmware cannot be used in this firmware in notes like some other models.
Options
Re:Restoring Settings after Firmware Update
2015-03-03 21:58:29
Hi John,

Unfortunately, the firmware will not fix the locking/hanging/no-response issue but you should install is anyway.

This is a problem that has been reported many times on this forum that TP-Link need to address - and with a number of different devices.

I was given a workaround by TP-Link support that helped me get by. I was told to disable UPNP with a disclamer that it [I]may[I] affect things like on-line gaming etc.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1729

Replies: 2

Related Articles