Config files unusable after firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-04 04:54:02
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

See update 141204 here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=Archer+C7&version=V1

I have elaborate configuration that will take hours to note down and then restore after firmware upgrade.

While this is clearly outrageous disregard for customers, I am wondering if there is a hack that will allow me to store/restore config after firmware upgrade without manually doing this?

And I say it's outrageous because this is a conscious decision TP-LINK made to:

1. Encrypt config files so they can't be human readable
2. Make a firmware upgrade without due care so that previous config files are not usable

Also, this is not something I had to suffer with any other manufacturers before, and clearly doesn't bode well for TP-Link for my next purchase.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Config files unusable after firmware upgrade
2015-03-05 10:07:41
I had the same doubt before. Later I found there is technical reasons after I compared the configuration files.

In fact the root cause is that the new firmware adopts a new HTTP authentication method. The old firmware including Archer C7_V1_140704 uses HTTP Basic Auth, which pops up a small windows to ask users to enter username and password for login. The username/password is save and sent in plain text .

The firmware Archer C7_V1_141204 starts using a more secure method to implement HTTP authentication (we can see this by capturing). The username/password is encrypted which means the format is changed. If we restore the old configuration file after firmware upgrade, it can be restored but the password is unrecognized.

Download the tool which can view the configuration file in plain text. http://www.nirsoft.net/toolsdownload/routerpassview.zip

But I can't find a way to modified. Not only this brand, a lot of other brands encrypt their configuration files for safety.
Options
2018-06-08 06:00:02
I had a problem logging back into the admin after the firmware upgrade as well. I called TP-Link Tech support (866) 225-8139. The fix was simple log into the admin by using the default setting of User ID admin and password admin. That will let you into your account and from there you can do what is needed like changing your ID and password. You can a reboot there as well. Hope this helps.
Options
2018-06-12 07:33:05
It's a good thing, if you had some Mal that the new FW wiped out you wouldn 't want a re-infection through an old config file would you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 606

Replies: 3