Disconnects continuously

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disconnects continuously

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disconnects continuously
Disconnects continuously
2015-04-29 17:38:09
Region : South Africa

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : TD-W8970_V3_141212

ISP :

I recently bought this router. (2 weeks ago), and installed it. It seemed to work fine for the first week but then I noticed that the internet would just stop working mid "browse"

If I ran the diagnostics the would :
Test Internet Browsing
Test xDSL Synchronization Pass
ATM OAM Segment Ping Pass
ATM OAM end to end Ping Pass
Test PPP Server connection Pass
Test authentication with ISP Pass
Test assigned IP address Pass
Ping default gateway Fail
Ping primary Domain Name Server Fail
Test DNS Root Fail
Network Connection Status Inspect(NCSI) Fail
Diagnostics Complete

I would then keep an eye on the syslog and after a couple of minutes it would say ppp1 error... user something (sorry I rebooted and don't have a log that contains the exacts errors)

And then reconnect and I would be able to continue using the internet.

After so playing around I tracked the events down to a new device connecting...

I would have my laptop ping google and the turn on the wifi on my phone... and almost instantly the pings would start to timeout. I repeated this a couple of times with the same results

Then I thought maybe there could be something wrong with my phone.. but I found that I could repeat this with my other laptop or my wife's phone. And because the default action when the internet stops working is to fall-back to 3G on phone, we turn off the wifi and wait for the internet on another device to start working again. And then turn on wifi to repeat the whole cycle again....

I have a rather Busy setup but it wasn't and issue with the netgears I had in the past... Netgear was only 150Mbs

I have my Samsung TV, Mybooklive, DVD player and Raspberry PI 2 connected to the Ethernet ports.
2 Android phones, 3 laptops, Chromecast and a wii connected to wifi.

The laptops and phones move into and out of the wifi on a regular bases so it is very irritating to have to wait 5+ minutes for the router so "self heal"

Anything I could try???
Options
2 Reply
Re:Disconnects continuously
2015-04-30 14:18:46
Check if your TD-W8970 is running in latest firmware. If not, upgrade it first, reset and reconfigure it to test.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TD-W8968_V3.html#Firmware
With the latest firmware, if the problem continues, try to disable UPnP on its web interface.
Options
Sorry
2015-04-30 14:44:31
For some reason the fields I populated when beginning the thread reset itself to other values and I could only see this after the post went live. My Routers is TD8970 and I have been run it with the latest firmware (1st thing I did when confronted with the issue)

Will try to see if disabling the UPNP makes a difference. However I have also purposfully kept the number of devices low on the router and this has also seemed to make it go away.... But that is not really a long term solution for me. I read somewhere else on the forum someone else also mentioned that they are using v1 of the TD8970 in an small office setup also struggling to stay on the internet...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 952

Replies: 2

Related Articles