3G connection going down and not recovering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-17 21:13:22
Region : Spain

Model : TL-MR3220

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 3.14.9 Build 140319 Rel.38485n

ISP : Vodafone

Hi,

I am using the TL-MR3420 for a remote monitoring system. I have configured the 3G connection (the only one available) to be open all time and this seems to work more or less fine. When the connection is loss - which happens quite often, by the way - the connection is restarted ("connection on demand" + idle time 0).

BUT, after a few days (maximum 5, as far as I have verified thus far), the 3G connection becomes blocked and even though there seems to be coverage the connection is not opened till I power-cycle the router.

I wonder if there is a way to reset (scheduled or remote-triggered) the 3G connection or the 3G dongle (in case the problem is in the 3G dongle) or - even better - the entire router. I dont really mind to have the router offline for a short time or connection cuts every now and then, as far as I have means of automatically recover it without having to be there to power cycle the system.

Thanks in advance.
Options
4 Reply
Re:3G connection going down and not recovering
2015-05-18 14:04:20
I didn't see a way to restart the router without power-off. Try to upgrade the latest firmware and see if the connection will be more stable.
Options
unstable 3G connection not auto-recovering
2015-05-18 19:20:12

M Diamond wrote

I didn't see a way to restart the router without power-off. Try to upgrade the latest firmware and see if the connection will be more stable.

Thanks for the prompt answer!

I will try with latest firmware. I have found no way of activating an SSH/Telnet connection to the router, do you know if it exists? (even if restricted to internal network).

I am using it for an elderly people monitoring system and it is difficult to have them powering it off/on every now and then. The 3G/4G connection has proved to be quite unstable (maybe it is because of the dongle or the carrier) ... I concentrated all the connection security and recovery in the controller system but this router seems to be a wrong choice.
Options
2015-05-19 10:24:35
I have found no way of activating an SSH/Telnet connection to the router, do you know if it exists?

It doesn't exist.
Options
2015-05-22 17:51:59
If the firmware upgrade does not work, I will have to use the "low-technology" approach and use a programmable socket and schedule it to power off the router everyday for 30' during the night ... I prefer to loose this timeframe every day than having to wait for the weekend to restore the connection.

Thanks.

Jacobo.
Options