Redefining default admin pword W8101G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-16 12:25:20
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TD-W8101G

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am no longer able to access administrator controls on my W8101G, neither with the password which I had created, nor with the default "admin".
I have unplugged the unit on numerous occasions, sometimes overnight, in hopes of restoring the default settings.
I have also used the RESET button on numerous occasions.
I have also held in the RESET button for up to 10 seconds, which may, I fear have cleared out the default admin password settings.
My unit works, which is good, but I cannot gain access to affect changes in the setup.
When I try with either the default admin password, or my personal password, neither of them is recognized, and I get a PROTECTED OBJECT message.
Does anybody have a clue as to how to restore previous default settings, or a workaround to gain access?
Might this be a Driver issue, as it now appears that there may be an updated V3 for this unit, which came with V2.2?

Barring that, I will buy a new wifi modem, and would be receptive to suggestions which would be appropriate for USB 3, Broadband and Fiber, suitable for internet service in Bali, via Telkom, either Speedy or FTTH (Fiber to the Home).
Options
2 Reply
Re:Redefining default admin pword W8101G
2015-07-21 09:58:31
Did you try to unplug the telephone line first and hard reset it?
When you reset it, can you see any changes of indicators on its front panel?

Are you looking for a fiber modem or a router which can work with a cable modem? How about this one?
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D9.html
Options
Re:Redefining default admin pword W8101G
2015-07-22 10:57:00
Vivian, thanks very much for your response. I had been trying this on and off for about a month, with no success, and very frustrated.
After reading another post on the forum, I tried again and was able to get the modem to reset to the default password.
I am very happy to be able to once again access the admin controls and settings.

The internet connection from Telkom Speedy is over the phone line (PPPoE), but I have been considering upgrading to a new service they offer which is Fiber Optic to the Home,
so if I do buy a new wifi router, I want to make sure I choose one which would be upgrade compatible. Now that I am back in the driver seat, I may not race out and do it, but doing a little due diligence never hurt.
Those Archer units do look very nice and seem to offer plenty which my entry level 54M p.o.s. does not.
Thanks again!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 386

Replies: 2