Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
107 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."
2020-04-08 21:39:27 - last edited 2020-04-08 21:43:49

4x3.2x9 wrote

@Stella.Q 

Thanks for the update. Before reverting to the Beta firmware, does the Beta firmware cover the CWMP vulnerability?

Noted, will provide a copy of the system log, if I do decide to revert to the Beta firmware and the "Please try to configure your DNS manually." occurs again.

@Stella.Q or @Kevin_Z Would any of your technical team be able to provide further information? Does the Beta firmware of the VR900 v3 model, cover the CWMP vulnerability that was patched?

As an add, are there any system log servers/systems that TP-Link can recommend if I do decide to go to the Beta firmware and decide to capture the log dumps from the router and submit for TP-link technical team to analyse?

I recall when using the Beta firmware if you try to save the logs locally on the modem/router, it only contains about 120 minutes worth of data at anyone time, because it generates so much data, so the reason is to set something up to record several days/weeks worth of data with a syslog server. 

I have tried kiwilog server free edition, (solarwinds) it seems ok? https://www.kiwisyslog.com/free-tools/kiwi-free-syslog-server for anyone else who is interested.

On a TP-Link UK Support FAQ, dated, 2020-03-30, I noticed that there was a screenshot of some syslog server software, but could not make out what the piece of software is called or named? What could this be?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/548/

https://static.tp-link.com/resources/UploadFiles/Images/Slgimage005.png

Options
2020-05-11 18:08:36

@4x3.2x9 

I'm also facing this issue with my Archer VR900 on both wifi and ethernet.

Interestingly I'm also using plusnet on a adsl connection with nearly identical line stats as you.

I've tried all sorts of different dns servers but still have the same issue and like others have said it seems to happen when the device is being used heavily.

Have you been able to resolve this issue?

@Stella.Q @Kevin_Z I'm yet to try the beta firmware could the technical team provide more infomation on this issue and if it has been patched in the latest firmware release.

I'm guessing as the beta firmware was suggested then this issue is a issue with tplink's firmware.

Thanks.

Options
2020-05-14 07:04:13

I've also been experiencing this issue for a while. No DNS for about an hour this morning. I've installed the BETA and will continue to monitor the situation.

Options
2020-05-14 08:48:30

@Drave 

The beta did it for me. No more errors.

Options
2020-05-14 08:53:07

@Noufi Thanks for letting me know. As it is an inconsistent issue it's going to take sometime before I know for sure.

Options
2020-05-14 08:58:56

@Drave It happens when the upload link gets saturated. That is when you upload a large file, when your cloud files synchronize, and strangely when you have iOS devices updating the apps every now and then (for some reason this also loads the uplink).

This is according to my ISP who was monitoring my line for troubleshooting while this was happening...

Options
2020-05-14 09:08:12

@Noufi That could make sense because it happened first thing this morning when I started working on my iMac. I often have audio files uploading to Dropbox for work.

Options
2020-05-14 09:39:52

@Drave This being said you'll find out that the upload link is still working, even if the router says it is disconnected on the Basic menu. The Advanced menu will show the connection to be OK. You will just not be able to download anything until the upload is finished, so you have the impression that the router is disconnected. This is a very strange behaviour, as if the router thinks it is disconnected when the upload link is full...

Options
2020-05-14 09:53:10
Do you mean the DSL connection on the advanced menu? Obviously that is different than the DNS. I never lose DSL connection just the DNS.
Options
2020-05-14 10:36:26

@Drave In the Advance status all boxes are OK. DNS, DSL, etc.

In the Basic status, the Internet status shows Disconnected, and no DNS

Options
Related Articles