Archer D7 - USB printer controller not working with OS X El Captain

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer D7 - USB printer controller not working with OS X El Captain

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
67 Reply
Re:Archer D7 - USB printer controller not working with OS X El Captain
2016-03-30 00:41:54
I think Apple had very good reasons to disable some of the possibly undocumented code that TP-Link developers were relying on to make this work. You can tell by the way the controller utility installs that it's doing something shady in the background. That's what shitty OEM software has been doing on Windows for the past few decades, but Apple keeps raising the bar for system-level security. I blame TP-Link for using unnecessary hacks to make full USB connection over the network possible.
Options
2016-03-30 17:13:59
I contacted TP-Link and their response was literally "nowhere does it say that we support El Capitan."

I let them know that everywhere on their packaging and product description their equipment is listed as "Mac compatible."

Since I'm no expert, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Apple has put them in an impossible situation. However, I wouldn't have high hopes that TP-Link is going to come up with a solution. El Cap has been out for over 6 months.

I ended up getting an Airport Extreme (latest version). I'm going to say initial impressions is it's a little slower than the C9 but in every other regard it's better. Plug in a printer, boom it's working in 5 seconds.

aratuk wrote

I really hope to hear something about this soon. I just bought an Archer C9 today and was disappointed to find out the shared printing feature doesn't work for Macs. I'm considering returning it now, while I still can. I like the router, but it doesn't bode well when compatibility breaks and remains broken for many months, with only second-hand reports of customer service emails saying a fix is on the way.

Maybe I should get an Airport Extreme. I haven't decided what to do yet.
Options
2016-03-31 15:56:04

phaedon wrote

I contacted TP-Link and their response was literally "nowhere does it say that we support El Capitan."

I let them know that everywhere on their packaging and product description their equipment is listed as "Mac compatible."

Since I'm no expert, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Apple has put them in an impossible situation. However, I wouldn't have high hopes that TP-Link is going to come up with a solution. El Cap has been out for over 6 months.

I ended up getting an Airport Extreme (latest version). I'm going to say initial impressions is it's a little slower than the C9 but in every other regard it's better. Plug in a printer, boom it's working in 5 seconds.

you have done the right thing: I am waiting to put my Archer on sale soon and go back to no network printing: thank you TP Link for confirming incompatible with Mac!
Options
2016-04-03 21:51:29

ddx wrote

I think Apple had very good reasons to disable some of the possibly undocumented code that TP-Link developers were relying on to make this work. You can tell by the way the controller utility installs that it's doing something shady in the background. That's what shitty OEM software has been doing on Windows for the past few decades, but Apple keeps raising the bar for system-level security. I blame TP-Link for using unnecessary hacks to make full USB connection over the network possible.

I agree with the above. A proper app would have no problem installing and working.
On another note, does anyone know another router that its printer app would work in El Capitan?
Options
2016-04-20 17:27:01
The only and most practical solution is buy a Wi-fi printer which is what I have ordered just recently.

It might not be ideal for you but wireless printers are cheap nowadays and they are widely supported throughout many platforms including mobile and tablets. Something that TP-Link Printer controller cannot do even if it works.

Also for flexibility of placing wireless printer to anywhere in the house within the range of the Wi-fi.
Options
2016-04-22 02:03:38
I agree with you: usb printers should vanish completely and wifi networked ones should become the norm.

barnettgs wrote

The only and most practical solution is buy a Wi-fi printer which is what I have ordered just recently.

It might not be ideal for you but wireless printers are cheap nowadays and they are widely supported throughout many platforms including mobile and tablets. Something that TP-Link Printer controller cannot do even if it works.

Also for flexibility of placing wireless printer to anywhere in the house within the range of the Wi-fi.
Options
2016-04-22 18:18:03

alfredo87 wrote

I agree with you: usb printers should vanish completely and wifi networked ones should become the norm.

Excuse me, sir, but are You kidding me? Do You know what are You talking about? It's not the USB printers problem because USB printers will exist and will be produced since cable will always be more reliable than any kind of air connection. Secondly, 90% of the offices in the world use quite old (5-7-10 years) machines like Konica Minolta's Bizhub - why? Because they are reliable and they are cheap.

The problem lays in TP-LINK producing shitty software for overpriced gear. Paying $130 for a router and not having the ability to use its feature on mac? THIS is ridiculous. And it's not El-Capitan's issue because the problem existed when they released the router and it exists now. Just go to YouTube and use the phrase of "tp link usb printer controller problem", You will find some really old films with people trying to find the solution because TP-LINK don't give a fuck about their customers.

How the hell is it possible that company of $1.9 billion revenue can't resolve such issue for the last 3-5 years?
Options
2016-04-24 20:48:13
psoiree, it is called incompetence! It is not only TP-Link, it is the case with other companies based in China. It is my solely perception that Chinese are simply numb when it comes out about software, simply there are not enough connections in their brain. It is not sad, it is not insulting, it is simply the truth.
Options
2016-05-05 15:43:13
because they are incompetent , not because they are Chinese...
China has been around for more millennia than us westerners and had a higher culture and industry than we ever managed to produce!
Options
2016-05-06 19:50:23

alfredo87 wrote

because they are incompetent , not because they are Chinese...
China has been around for more millennia than us westerners and had a higher culture and industry than we ever managed to produce!

First of all, I'm not a westerner :) Secondly, their "higher culture" may be relevant if You travel, make business or study their history but it has nothing to do with their consumer service and being competent. Thirdly, their industry is and always was dependent on western world (even in ancient times - The Silk Road). In the past their advantage was having cheap labour force but in 2016 even this is no longer the benefit from investing in their country. Trust me, 'been there, done that.

Alfredo, I don't know if You're interested in modern economy, sir, but China is having a big friggin' problem right now so instead of doing shitty products with shitty software and trying to sell it as fast as possible, they should really keep doing quality stuff so they could get out of another crisis because quality is the thing people are looking for these days. We're all tired of cheap China/Vietnam products - and I just got back from Vietnam two weeks ago so trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Their own people are tired of this "cheap culture" (although my personal discovery and feelings are that this IS their culture. They're still a bit angry at americans because of the wars etc. etc. but they also admire USA because of the competition between the nations which put them into XXI century. Just talk to young Chinese, Vietnamese or Thais)

Best regards,
Paul
Options
Related Articles