Connecting my ps4 to range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-07-17 16:18:51 - last edited 2020-09-11 02:06:52
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My TL-WA860RE is set up with my router all ok, I got the extender to boost the range to my ps4 upstairs, my extender is plugged in and signal is good, now how do I connect the ps4 to the extender or do I not need to as the extender shares the same name and key as my router?
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting my ps4 to range extender-Solution
2020-09-11 02:06:41 - last edited 2020-09-11 02:06:52

@TheGeddy19 

Good day.

As for the proxy mode, you could have a look at this link:

In Proxy Mode, Range Extender will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address, so that we need type the virtual MAC addresses of these clients in the MAC Filtering of the router instead of their real MAC addresses.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Since the proxy mode could not be disabled, could you please send me a picture when PS asked for proxy mode so that  I could have a check with the senior engineers to see if there is any work around?

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
16 Reply
Re:Connecting my ps4 to range extender
2020-07-26 16:30:52

@bizniz001 
Were you ever able to figure it out? Im having a simalir issue with my PS4 and the AC1750 I just bought

Options
2020-08-07 21:28:45

@Alucard5715 I have the same problem too. It works fine with my phone and other thongs but not my ps4. If you figure it out please tell me.

Options
2020-08-12 19:43:35

@dawit101 Same, I get a "Cannot connect to the Wifi network within the time limit" for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.  It is well within range and all other devices work fine.

Options
2020-08-16 22:15:23

I have the same problem.  Haven't been able to find a fix yet.  iPad, laptop, and phone all connect fine but the PS4 won't.  If I unplug the extender, the PS4 will still connect to the weak, unstable, connection; so the PS4 is not broken.  It's frustrating and I feel like I waisted money because the main reason I got it was for the PS4.

Options
2020-08-17 00:25:31

@bizniz001 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

As for the SSID of the TL-WR860RE, you could set up the same SSID or different SSID of which both can be achieved.

Thank you.

Options
2020-08-17 00:32:10 - last edited 2020-08-17 00:32:51

@bizniz001 @ZRaider 

Hi All, good day!

For the PS4 issue, we might need your help to get the following information:

1. What is the model number of your range extender, is it also TL-WA860re?
  2. Is the PS4 connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable? If via Wi-Fi, how about Ethernet cable connection?
  3. Is there any error message when the PS4 failed to connect to the range extender?---it would be highly appreciated that you could post a picture here.
  4. May I know the model number of your main router?

Thank you very much for your cooperation and support.

Options
2020-08-17 02:54:15

@Solla-topee 1.  the extender is AC1750 (RE40).

2.  WiFi.  It is the reason I purchased the extender.  To increase my WiFi stability for the PS4.  When I unplug the extender from the wall, the PS4 will connect to the WiFi but with a weak signal.

3.  I can't post an image at this time, but what the PS4 does is it finds the SSID and then the next step is obtaining an IP address.  It tries for a couple minutes to obtain one and then times out because it can't get one.  

Without the extender, it obtains an IP address.

So basically it seems like the extender is preventing the PS4 from obtaining an IP address, which causes the the PS4 to time out after trying to connect for a little while.

4. Netgear router. Model C3700.

Thank you in advance for any support you may provide!

Options
2020-08-17 06:27:29

@ZRaider 

Thank you for your reply.

Have you ever tried to set up the static IP address on the PS4 before? Or Did it try to get an IP via DHCP?

And we would follow up on your case via email and please have a check of your email box.

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-08-17 21:37:43

@Solla-topee It was trying to get the IP through DHCP.  I figured out how to do a PS4 static IP from a different site so I tried it.  After doing it, I was connecting through the extender; YEAH!!!  But I was stilling having issues.  

I'm typing the rest of this to help others with the same connection issue with a PS4.  THANK YOU @Solla-topee !!!!

After assigning the Static IP (which there are blogs and such that show you how to do it) the PS4 would connect through the extender but then drop the signal two seconds later.  I watched it for awhile on the connection status screen.  It cycled between being connected and not for about 5 minutes and then made a stable connection.

It was working!!  A strong stable signal!!  BUT, after a bit I shut it off and restarted it and the same issue occurred.  I wasn't connected to the internet.  I went back to the status screen and it was doing the same cycling.  Finally it made a stable connection again.

Since then, I have shut the PS4 off and on again several times.  Each time it has started with a connection through the extender with no problems.  It was kind of like one of the devices needed to connect a couple of times to remember the connection information (possibly creating cookies).

But anyway, I can now watch Disney+ and play games online through my PS4.

I hope this can help others.

Thank you again!

Options
2020-08-18 02:31:38

@bizniz001 

Good day.

Well done!yesyes

As for the unstable connection issue on the PS4, I am not sure the reason.

But there is one small tip that you could have a try:

Reserve the static IP address on the main router for the PS4 to see if that helped.

Thank you~

Options