Dual-port not working on both ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-04 21:06:22
Hi there, I recently purchased two TL-PA4020P and am using them to extend my cable modem over to a wifi device (which is serving as the router and DHCP server).

However, it seems that on either end of the extension, neither of the 2nd ports work.

i.e.:
Cable Modem --> Port 1 #1 TL-PA4020P--> #2 TL-PA4020P Port 1 --> Router/DHCP server

Whenever I plug something into Port 2 on either extender (TL-PA4020P), I'm not able to pass traffic. I've tested both trying to get a DHCP address (which doesn't work) and by manually assigning an IP (which also doesn't work). I can't reach anything else on my network.

Thoughts?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Dual-port not working on both ports
2016-12-06 16:17:13
Of course not. Your 4020Ps both are upstream of the router, and therefore not seen by its downstream services like DHCP.
Options
2016-12-06 17:08:00
Yes, good point. Though I thought it would more like an ethernet fabric where it wouldn't matter, but I realize now that the router itself is splitting the network.

What do you think about running a cable back from the router into the second port of the powerline adapter #2? In theory that should give me a DHCP response on the second port of the powerline adapter #1 right?
Options
2016-12-07 16:28:07
Hmmm ... you'd be transporting two logical networks on the same physical media. With plain LAN cabling, that's entirely possible, and I've done it before; with PLCs I've never tried, though I don't see why it shouldn't work. I do know that it works for two separate networks downstream of the router - mine runs "resident" and "guest" nets on separate IP ranges no problem.

Do try and let us know how it went!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1026

Replies: 3

Related Articles