Archer VR200v always on idle timeout?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-06 10:20:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have been testing the Archer VR200v VDSL2 modem for use with our DSLAM and PPPoE Server.

I have noticed that if the PPPoE session is dropped or the server restarted the modem will not re-establish the connection for approximately 15 minutes.

I suspect that this is a built in default that as far as I can see in the web GUI can't be changed?

I don't want to use "on demand" and I don't want the users to have to log in and connect manually.

Are you able to advise if there is any way to adjust the default idle timeout for an always-on internet mode.
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer VR200v always on idle timeout?
2017-08-03 17:45:32
What's the firmware version of your VR200v?
Options
2017-08-22 15:08:56
Version 2.
firmware
Archer VR200v(EU)_V2 161202
Options
2017-08-23 14:59:11
by default it's "always on" instead of connect on demand, if you use connect on demand, set the idle time to a small number
Options
2017-08-24 07:25:38
On demand is not an acceptable work around as this is not the default setting and may potentially cause a delay for the user if session is disconnected due to inactivity then reconnected upon user trying to surf.
*EDIT* I actually just tested this and using on demand if the session is terminated by the PPPoE server the modem never reconnects unless either rebooted or by user going into the GUI and selecting "disconnect" and "reconnect"
So this is actually much worse

This seems like a design flaw to me, other manufacturers have always on settings to check and re-establish the session within 30 seconds or less
Options
2017-08-24 19:41:06
The modem has Auto connection mode, in this mode, the internet connection reconnects automatically anytime it gets disconnected.
Options
2017-08-25 07:05:59
flying snow
The modem has [COLOR=#333333]Auto connection mode, in this mode, the internet connection reconnects automatically anytime it gets disconnected.

Yes......................... yes it does but this is the whole reason of this thread.

Try it yourself.. attach the modem to a PPPoE server and reboot the PPPoE server or kick the session from the PPPoE server.

The modem takes a very long time to reconnect (as long as 15 minutes but as short as 2 minutes)
On average seems to be about 6-7 minutes of dead internet time before the modem realises the session is stale and initiates a new one.

Other vendor equipment re-establish the session with a minute or within seconds without fail.

This is not something set by the radius server or the PPPoE server, this is a built in function of the modem as far as I can tell.
Options
2017-08-25 15:00:24
that's really a long time...does it have something to do with the phone line too? ignore it if you test with other modem. what would be the light status on the modem? is the DSL light still solid on? It's really tricky. maybe send the log to support@tp-link.com to analyze
Options
2017-08-30 08:43:27
This has nothing to do with Line Sync

Assuming the line is never detected as out of sync (connection between the DSLAM and modem is up the entire time) and the PPPoE session is dropped by the server, the modem doesn't check if the session is valid until that very long interval.

I have a support case open with TPLINK now but not really getting anywhere yet.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1572

Replies: 8

Related Articles