Existing Wifi - how to only repeat signal in other areas?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-03 10:00:26
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I have a basic question for folks around about how to set up deco m4 (3 pack) for wifi signal strenght.

Base Setup:

I have already created WiFi network via router

What I want to create/Do:

I have 3 deco m4 units and I want to use them as extenders of already created WiFi in "dead - areas".

My question is how to properly do that?

To use DECOs in Access point mode? To be clear I dont wanna use one deco to just connect to existing router. I want to use these three units as separate extenders for "bad signal" areas and extend the wifi coverage.

For any help and info, thank you

Options
3 Reply
Re:Existing Wifi - how to only repeat signal in other areas?
2019-07-04 01:15:45

Hi,

The Deco can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless both, while the main Deco need connect to the modem/internet source by wired cable to get internet first.

So back to your case, if you want to create wifi in dead-areas, you can connect the main Deco to the modem by ethernet cable and relocate the other 2 slave Decos. And they will builb up a mesh wifi system. 

It is not suggested to use them as separate extenders cause to make them work, there should be one main Deco connects to the modem directly. 

Nice day. 

matthew.el wrote

Hi there,

I have a basic question for folks around about how to set up deco m4 (3 pack) for wifi signal strenght.

Base Setup:

I have already created WiFi network via router

What I want to create/Do:

I have 3 deco m4 units and I want to use them as extenders of already created WiFi in "dead - areas".

My question is how to properly do that?

To use DECOs in Access point mode? To be clear I dont wanna use one deco to just connect to existing router. I want to use these three units as separate extenders for "bad signal" areas and extend the wifi coverage.

For any help and info, thank you

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Existing Wifi - how to only repeat signal in other areas?
2019-07-04 09:23:51

Thank you for reply Kevin_Z

Thats what I thought and gona do. I will replace my router with one Deco m4 and than I will "recreate" network with em

Have a nice day

Options
Re:Re:Re:Existing Wifi - how to only repeat signal in other areas?
2019-07-04 10:44:52

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Just take your time to install it and test the performance.

Any updates, please let us know. 

Nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options