Deco P9 third device always disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-20 13:36:54
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

I recently purchase Deco P9 whole home wifi solution. 

I am with ISP Virgin Media, Hub 3.0 which I have set to modem mode only. 

I connected the three P9 devices in my 3 bedroom 2 floor house.

• The main device is connected via ethernet.
  • The other two are connected to the main via WiFi.
  • The main device is located at the bottom of the stairs on the ground floor.
  • Device 2 is connected in the kitchen on the same floor.
  • The third device(problematic device) is on the first floor at the top of the stairs. It has clear line of sight to the Main Deco.

My third device at the top of the stair constantly looses connection to the main deco. Indicated by flashing red. When I switch it on and off it comes back. This happens once every half hour at the least.

It is only the third device that the problem is with. The other two are amazing. Its frustrating because the kitchen device does not have direct line of sight to the Main Deco but has never lost connection to the Main Deco.

I have deleted network and set it up again. I have swapped devices and locations. I have tried leaving the device next to the main deco, within two meter distance. Nothing has worked.

Update whilst writing this message I lost connection so this is me typing this  a second time. 

Please help. This is really frustrating. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco P9 third device always disconnects
2020-05-22 11:16:37

@MahanA 

Have you tried to set up the problematic Deco to be the main Deco? If not, you can have a try. And check if this Deco will work properly when being the main Deco.

Options
2020-05-28 13:47:58 - last edited 2020-05-28 14:05:56

@TP-Link_Deco 

I simply cannot move it any closer. Its 2m away from the main DECO I cannot place its half way down the stairs. That is not the point of whole home mesh wifi system. To have all your access points sitting next to each other

The power cable that comes with them is only 1.5m long. Should I order a longer one so it can be even closer?

This is still a terrible solution. You simply cannot tell someone to move it closer until they are right next to each other.

Options
2020-05-29 08:45:42

@MahanA 

I mean set the problematic Deco P9 to be the main Deco, not closer to the main Deco. Here is the instruction.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

Options
2020-05-29 12:23:21

@TP-Link_Deco 

"

I have swapped devices and locations.

"

Here is a quote from my first post that you didn't read....

To clarify. I have swapped the Main Deco with the Slave. I am sure the issue is with the power line feature not working. I have swapped to outlets in different rooms upstairs to check if there are any power data blockers.

Thanks

Options
2020-05-30 20:12:57

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

The main device does not stop disconnecting. The indicator turns red.

After a restart it works again correctly for a random time.

It is indeed very frustrating.

Hoping to find a solution.

Options
2020-06-01 08:29:16

@Sankasssss 

I have made it further in with TP-Link support and its finally getting somewhere.

Unfortunately you will have to use their live web chat service and spend about 2 hours speaking to someone, trying to convince them that you have a problem.

Once you have repeated yourself to live web chat person at least 73 times, answering the same questions over and over again, realising that they are not reading your replies. They will realise that you had the patience to deal with them for 2 hours and that this is a real issue, they will raise a case for you and escalate it to an engineer. 

An engineer will send you a copy of their beta, Firmware and Software update, which shows network diagrams. It also shows whether the poweline backhaul feature is working or not.

I know right!! Why didn't they do this for the initial release and put an unfinished product out to market?

I ask myself everyday why I went for the cheap option and didn't just buy a Netgear Orbi (My friend has a pack of 2 in his detached 6 bedroom house and it has never lost connection, it doesn't even have the power line feature).

The network diagram will allow you to place your Deco's tactically and allow the engineers to gather more information to help you. It seems the issue may be resolved soon for me. 

Options
2020-06-01 09:54:13

@MahanA 

It seems our engineer is following your problem, you can reply to the e-mail from our engineer directly if you need further help.

Options
2020-06-07 09:08:02

@MahanA Thanks for these informations.

It's true that spending 2 hours with the support is not funny but if it can help to solve the problem I'll have to do it.

I also don't understand how it's possible to put an unfinished product like that on the market. Especially from TP-Link. I'm quite disappointed in this purchase.

Options
2020-06-07 18:30:27
I made a complain to Amazon and they understood the problem. They took the product back and I have bought a Netflix Orbi. Not one drop out has happened. 0. Full connection everywhere. Only one router and one satellite. I only bought the 2 pack and its performing so well.
Options
2021-04-02 16:13:06

@MahanA 

Same here 

same problem 

also my flat is really small its like 160 square meters 

I'm about to throw this mesh system awa

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2215