PA9020P (v3) Bricked from firmware update?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-07 09:18:10
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have recently had some work done on the house and was noticing that I was getting poor connection in the new part of the house, so I looked online and it mentioned that firmware updates can often improve performance/stability so went ahead and downloaded the V3 firmware (after checking the version number etc).

As it is a pair of them I updated one no problem, then went to update the other one (they just have random names so was not sure which was which) and it did same update process but the update window was not closing, it had been on for about 20 minutes before I googled about if anything could go wrong, and when I looked in the other room I noticed the middle light on the plug was red (this usually happens when the plug needs to be turned off and back on for whatever reason).

Anyway the internet was useless here and it had been going for about 30 mins at this point so I assumed if it was going to have worked it would have done so by now, I tried pressing the pairing button and it didnt do anything, forcably restarted the app and it didnt show the powerline adapter so turned it off and back on.

Now no lights come on and it doesnt show up on the app, so I assume its bricked, but I am baffled as to what has occurred, as it was plugged in, wired connection, all lights were fine. I could see it reporting 200Mbps (ish) and it started the update fine. I cannot tell for sure if it just borked instantly or was after 20 mins etc as I just assumed it would take a few mins like the first one.

Anyway is there any way to try and unbrick it? as they are quite expensive and I have (to my knowledge) done nothing wrong here, just did exactly the same process as I did with the other one.

(I have already tried holding pair for 15 seconds while plugged in and that didnt do anything).

Any help would be great.

Options
2 Reply
Re:PA9020P (v3) Bricked from firmware update?
2020-10-09 10:22:44

@Grofit 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

May I know how long have you had the powerline adapter and where are you located?

Did you update the firmware via web interface or powerline utility?

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re:PA9020P (v3) Bricked from firmware update?
2020-10-09 11:00:18
Hi Solla-topee, I was lucky enough to find a post about the PLC Recovery app which let me recover the plug even though it was non responsive and seemed completely dead. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/97844 Thanks for getting back to me though.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 758

Replies: 2

Related Articles