Archer C4000 Poor 5ghz Streaming to a 4K TV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-22 16:50:24 - last edited 2020-11-22 16:55:44
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(4555)

Hi All 

I have a Samsung UE55NU8000 4K TV. My old WiFi Router was from Tenda, an AC19 which re-started every few days and used to disconnect frequently but it did allow me to stream 4K movies to my TV on 5Ghz.
I now have a new TP-Link Archer C4000, a much better router in some respects but I'm disappointed I cannot now watch 4K on my TV. The 4K Streaming is patchy and stutters. I have tried setting QoS to Streaming and I have set the TV as No. 1 Priority. Both the Router and the TV are in adjacent rooms but I don't really want to hard wire the TV. I want to use the 5Ghz WiFi as I did with my old cheap router. Please help me improve 5Ghz WiFi. The TV is definitely connected to 5Ghz and the C4000 is using combined WiFi. I did try and change the WiFi channels but as I switch back to combined they revert to Auto Channels.

I was hoping there would be a new Firmware as the current one is mor than 12 months old but no.

Support, as is sadly common nowadays, are useless.

Hamster

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C4000 Poor 5ghz Streaming to a 4K TV
2020-11-23 08:16:52

@Hamster1962 

Hi, by combined Wi-Fi do you mean the Smart Connect is enabled? It is suggested to try to disable it and manually select a clear 5GHz channel to confirm if the issue is resolved.

Please also check and enable the IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping on the C4000, try both V2 and V3 on IPTV/VLAN configuration page.

How about other internet services on the C4000, are you still able to get online when connected to the 5GHz? How about the internet LED on the AX20, is it always solid green?

How about the network bandwidth provided by your ISP? Try to disable the QoS on the C4000, reboot the router and TV, then confirm again.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-23 09:14:32 - last edited 2020-11-23 09:15:33

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather keep Smart Connect enabled if possible so I don't have to juggle the whole families connections. That was part of the whole idea of a new Router. I did try and pick my own channels but Smart Connect reverts them back to Auto. All the other devices we have are fine. Just the issue with 4k Streaming on the TV.

I'll try the IGMP Settings but not this week as World of Warcraft Expansion Pack is out tonight and if I break our internet, life won't be worth living.

Everything else works fine LED always solid Blue and no re-boots.

ISP Network is UK Virgin Media, 400Mbps, speed tests confirm this at 380Mbps.

Hammy

Options
2020-11-23 12:07:18

@Hamster1962 

Thank you very much for getting back so quickly. You may take your time to do the troubleshooting when it is convenient for you, game first :)

BTW, we don't mean we need to disable the Smart Connect in order to use the router, we want to see if there is anything to do with this specific feature, as you mentioned there is no way to choose a channel or channel width manually once it is enabled, so we want to disable it and confirm if that really makes a difference. You may try to disable the Smart Connect feature on the C4000 and try to manually select a channel and adjust the channel width on it, then apply the settings I mentioned previously to monitor the connection on the TV.

Have a nice day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-23 12:48:29

@Kevin_Z 

Ok, Thanks. One last thing. I did try and disable QoS but could not find a way of doing this. Only to leave it as 'Standard'. Does Standard mean it's OFF?

Kevin S

Options
2020-11-24 01:09:10

@Hamster1962 

Yes, leave it as Standard and ensure there is no device in the High priority list.

Options
2020-12-04 13:46:14

@Hamster1962 

Hi Everybody

I just thought I would post a quick update. I followed all the advice given and few more ideas which i found on the web and basically, this £155 Router is incapable of streaming at sufficient quality to watch anything at 4K on a fairly basic 4K TV.

Which is a shame as a rival, cheap (Less than half the price), Chinese Tenda Router streams 4K fine. Only trouble is the Tenda re-boots at least once every two or three days. Making it slightly more useless than the TP-Link.

Lessons. Don't buy an AC4000 Router for its stunning WiFi. Because its rubbish.

Be prepared to go to the trouble and expense of hard-wiring your TV.

Hamster

Options
2020-12-10 20:47:30

@Hamster1962 

Sadly, returned to Amazon as useless.

H

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 792

Replies: 7