M5 names on router connection don't match names on app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-29 19:59:52 - last edited 2021-01-31 19:49:10
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.9

On my iPhone app, my five Deco show up as

Hallway (main)

Cabin                             [gets signal from Pop Top BR]

Cabin L R                      [gets signal from Hallway]

Kitchen                          [gets signal from Hallway]

Pop Top B R                  [gets signal from Hallway]

I don't remember how I set up these names, that is, on app or internet connection.

On the Internet view of the router, my Decos show up as:

hallway_1 Main Deco

kitchen_3                      [gets signal from hallway_1]

custom_4                      [gets signal from hallway_1]

custom_5                      [gets signal from hallway_1]

custom_2                      [gets signal from custom_4]

Is there any way to get the Internet view match up with the app view of the Deco names?

Note: I only list the sources of signal for info, not directly relevant to my name question. But it is relevant to many other threads that complain the Deco does not optimize its sources. In my case, the distance between the Cabin Deco and the Cabin L R (living room) router is about 1/3 the distance between either Deco and the three Decos in my main house. It seems that one of the cabin Decos should be getting its signal from the other cabin Deco. Indeed, on some occasions that was happening, but after a power outage, it reverted to the current setup.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:M5 names on router connection don't match names on app - SEEMS FIXED-Solution
2021-01-31 19:48:30 - last edited 2021-01-31 19:49:10

@RandySea2 

This issue is fixed for now! I'm not sure which upgrade did it, since I rarely login from my PC. That's where the names have been wrong.

In any case, the names for each M5 router now match up on the app and the browser UI. For example, what was showing as "custom_4" now shows correctly as "Cabin L R".

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:M5 names on router connection don't match names on app
2020-11-30 08:08:46 - last edited 2021-01-31 19:48:56

@RandySea2 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

The customized name on the APP could not be synced to the web UI.

And if you choose the recommended name on the APP, like Hallway, Office, Kitchen, they would show up on the web UI as well.

Thank you very much!

Options
Re:M5 names on router connection don't match names on app
2020-11-30 17:58:52 - last edited 2020-11-30 18:03:12

You have restated the problem/bug correctly. This should be fixed by your programmers. At the very least, it should be possible to manually change the names that appear on the UI network map to match those on the app.

I might add that allowing only TP-Link's choice of names on the app is not good programming, either. You leave out obvious choices like "utility room", "store room", "basement", etc. This forces you customers to customize on the app. But then it's very annoying not to be able to see a useful network view in the UI.

Options
Re:M5 names on router connection don't match names on app - SEEMS FIXED-Solution
2021-01-31 19:48:30 - last edited 2021-01-31 19:49:10

@RandySea2 

This issue is fixed for now! I'm not sure which upgrade did it, since I rarely login from my PC. That's where the names have been wrong.

In any case, the names for each M5 router now match up on the app and the browser UI. For example, what was showing as "custom_4" now shows correctly as "Cabin L R".

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 575

Replies: 3

Related Articles