Mesh & Parental Controls- AP vs. Access Mide

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-06 12:28:19
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello and thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

i recently purchased the M5 to use a a router to get better coverage throughout my house AND to take advantage of the parental controls as my Greenwave C4000XG (CenturyLink fiber) is terrible at both. Got M5 set up easily, but then realized that it was causing some issues. Contacted TP Link through chat (ended up spending 3 hours with no resolution) and was told to put my M5 in access mode. Still had issues with devices not connecting completely (e.g. laptop wouldn't connect to websites like Walmart or Target but would connect to Amazon; wouldn't connect Yahoo, but would connect to Google) but was thinking of trying a reset and starting again.

Here's my problem: my Greenwave is a modem/ router combo. From what I've read since then, M5 won't work as a router with that device (probably why I was having issues yesterday). But then I've read that using it as an access point will disable the parental control functions- I NEED the parental control functions- it's the entire reason why I bought the mesh system to begin with! Is there some way to keep the M5 and still use it as a router? Maybe log into my Greenwave and turn off wifi after setting up the M5 again? Or use M5 as an access point AND keep the parental functionality?  If not, is there ANY mesh system that will work with a modem/ router combo for what I need? I can deal with reduced coverage in some spots in my house- what I can't deal with is two teenage boys who currently have free reign of the internet! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Mesh & Parental Controls- AP vs. Access Mide
2020-12-07 08:23:38

@KatieD 

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. the current setup is:

ISP-- Greenwave C4000XG modem/router combo—Deco M5;

2. the current issue you have:

---A: some devices are not able to connect to the Wi-Fi of the Deco;

---B: the device which connected to Deco and have internet service could not access to some websites;

And if there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to update it here;

And here are some suggestions:

1. Are you able to change the mode on the Greenwave C4000XG to be fiber bridge modem only?

2.change the DNS server on the Deco to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4;(it is under more>internet>ipv4>dynamic IP)

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Mesh & Parental Controls- AP vs. Access Mide
2020-12-08 01:28:20

@TP-Link - I was able to get all devices connected by turning off the wifi on the ISP modem. BUT, since I installed the Deco M5, I am getting much slower speeds than I was with the ISP modem alone. With just ISP, I was getting around 225 mbps wireless. Now with Deco M5, I'm getting 600 on TP-Link app, 400 wirelessly standing next to the main mesh unit, but only around 100 in the rest of the house- even standing right next to units two and three (however, Ethernet wired to unit two I do get 200). How can I boost my speeds around my house to what I am getting standing next to the main unit? Thank you! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 475

Replies: 2

Related Articles