Ethernet connection keeps disconnecting but wireless is OK

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-05 00:58:23 - last edited 2022-07-25 01:54:27
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 190124

Hi, I will try to explain my case the best i can,

So i bought the RE450 today and i'm very happy with the product, except for 1 detail that keeps bothering me and i'm not sure if it's normal.

Connections:
So I have the RE450 configured for both my 2.4G and my 5G.
My cellphone is connected to the RE 2.4G.
My PC is connected to the RE 5G
My Playstation 4 is wired to the RE450

Problem:
Every once in a while (like twice or three times per hour) my Playstation loses connection, but my PC and cellphone, wirelessly connected both keep connected.
No LEDs on the RE450 flicker or change color, all of them keep displaying a solid blue.
Sometimes the Playstation recovers connection quickly, some other times it takes quite a while. (Playstation cannot obtain IP address within time limit)

Solutions tried:
I already tried to change the RE's SSID so it doesn't match router's, but it didn't solve the problem.
I already checked, the firmware version is the latest one
I already reset connections, rebooted Playstation and RE450.
Nothing solves the problem.

It's really annoying because i lose online game progression and i do not know what's at fault or how to fix it but this is the first device i have that has a problematic wired connection...usually is the wireless connection that's unstable.
Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ethernet connection keeps disconnecting but wireless is OK-Solution
2021-01-06 01:53:24 - last edited 2021-01-06 01:54:28

@TP-Link 

I solved the problem. Very happy with the device now.

After further testing with fixed IP on PS4 i found i would still lose connection on the wired PS4, but never on the wireless devices.

Solution Used:
So I went to tplinkrepeater.net logged in my RE450 > Networks > Chose fixed IP option there.
Works perfectly now with the wired PS4, since IP doesn't change anymore and I no longer lose connection mid games.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet connection keeps disconnecting but wireless is OK
2021-01-05 07:19:52

@Blitzace 

Hi

For your case, could you please help me check the following information:

1. Have you tested the Ethernet connection with a normal laptop to see if the instability still existed?

2. if possible, would a fixed IP address on the PS4 improve the internet connection?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-05 14:02:23
Hi, My router already does static IPs for the several devices it has connected. Either way i tried to manually set IP on Playstation 4 Network settings, I also connected to google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and disconnected my PC and Phone from RE450 2G and 5G wireless. So far the connection on Playstation seems stable. Later today i will test it again more extensively and reconnect both PC and Phone to the RE450 and see if the wired connection remains stable. If this problem wasn't happening this would be a PERFECT device for me. But it looks promising since i was able to maintain stable connection for about 2h. Thank you
Options
Re:Ethernet connection keeps disconnecting but wireless is OK-Solution
2021-01-06 01:53:24 - last edited 2021-01-06 01:54:28

@TP-Link 

I solved the problem. Very happy with the device now.

After further testing with fixed IP on PS4 i found i would still lose connection on the wired PS4, but never on the wireless devices.

Solution Used:
So I went to tplinkrepeater.net logged in my RE450 > Networks > Chose fixed IP option there.
Works perfectly now with the wired PS4, since IP doesn't change anymore and I no longer lose connection mid games.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-03 15:19:22
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 8301

Replies: 4

Related Articles