Deco M4 satellite with ethernet backhaul shows wifi backhaul on app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-31 10:13:36
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

An M4 is connected by ethernet to my router, as is the main M4.  They are operating in access mode. The signal source for the satellite is shown as wifi 2.4GHz/5GHz, despite the ethernet connection.  I thought this might be because of a problem with the ethernet connection, but if I pull out the ethernet cable from the M4, the light on top quickly changes from white (all is OK) to red (a problem).  That implies that the ethernet backhaul is working (pulling out a non-working cable should surely have no effect), and that the app is reporting the backhaul incorrectly.  How can I resolve this?  NB I have another ethernet connected M4 which is correctly reporting its ethernet signal source.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 satellite with ethernet backhaul shows wifi backhaul on app
2021-01-31 12:43:48

@AlphaBetaGamma 

There is another test you can do to definitely prove if it is or it is not the Ethernet cable. 

Take problematic Satellite M4 that shows WiFi backhaul to where your Main or another Satellite M4 is. Connect that problematic Satellite M4 to the second port of Main M4 or another Satellite M4, using different and short Ethernet cable. You now have two Decos daisy chained to each other: problematic one to "good" one.

If with this setup problematic Satellite M4 still shows WiFi backhaul, while connected by different and short Ethernet cable to "good" M4, then something must be wrong with problematic M4.

Options
2021-02-04 10:25:04

@AlphaBetaGamma  thanks for the tip.  I did as you suggest and the problematic M4 is still showing the signal source as 'wifi' although it is directly connected with a known good ethernet cable to the main M4.  I'll try to take it up with TP-Link.

Options
2021-02-05 17:17:34

I did call the support chat line at TP-Link.  They advised doing a hard reset on the satellite M4, but this did not help.  I have 6 Decos, the main and 2 satellites connected with etheret, and the other three over wifi.  I have noticed that all three ethernet connected Decos have a low IP address (192.168.0.13, .14, and .16 ) and the wifi ones have a high one (.145, .147, .148), so even though the ethernet satellites show their signal source on the Deco app to be wifi, the addresses suggest to me that they are working with the eternet backhaul and it is the app that is incorrectly reporting the signal source (Deco app firmware 1.4.3).

Options
2021-02-05 22:23:12 - last edited 2021-02-05 22:25:44

@AlphaBetaGamma 

If you are OK with your mesh performance, you can just leave this issue and revisit it after next firmware upgrade. 

If you would like to poke a bit more, these are log lines you can check on problematic Deco M4 to see if it is indeed using Ethernet backhaul. 

Log lines to look for, for two options: bounce problematic M4 and pull cable from running M4.

Important: you need logs from problematic Satellite Deco, not from Main Deco. You can get Satellite Deco logs by using its IP address in a browser. Use default NOTICE log type when scanning or downloading logs to local drive. 

1. Bounce problematic M4.

After M4 restarts and connected to mesh, check if you see this log line in its logs:

daemon.notice awn[1214]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:3941]: Activaing Ethernet backhaul in eth1, disconnect other backhuals.

Note that you might see eth0 instead of eth1 in that log line.

followed after some time by:

daemon.notice awn[1214]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:3961]: Ethernet backhaul is active now.

2. Pull Ethernet cable from running M4.

Assuming your problematic M4 uses Ethernet backhaul, pull Ethernet cable off it. Its LED will go red briefly. Wait till M4 stabilizes by establishing WiFi backhaul, give few more minutes, connect Ethernet cable back.

2.1 These are log lines you should expect to see after pulling cable off:

daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: ONLINE(0x0) -> FAP.LOST(0x4)

daemon.notice awn[1235]: [awnd_conn_inspect_status:2388]: WIFI backhaul is connected.

2.2 These you should expect to see after connecting Ethernet cable back:

daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up

daemon.notice awn[1235]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:3983]: Activaing Ethernet backhaul in eth0, disconnect other backhuals.

daemon.notice awn[1235]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:4003]: Ethernet backhaul is active now.

Note that depending on Deco port used to connect Ethernet cable to, you might see eth1 instead of eth0 in these log lines.

Options