I cannot connect my seagate network HD via ethernet cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-01 18:45:20
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.30build 202009210

I cannot connect my seagate network hd and i dont have enough lan ports on my primary router to connect directly 

Options
5 Reply
Re:I cannot connect my seagate network HD via ethernet cable
2021-03-02 02:36:16

@AQuinn 

Hi,

For the primary router, did you mean the main Deco, or there is another wireless router?

--if possible, could you please draw a simple picture of your network topology?

Would there be any error message when you failed to connect the HD via Ethernet cable?

Did you set up any static IP on the HD before?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-03-02 17:19:50

@TP-Link There is no error message on the seagate hard drive which previously was plugged into one of the 4 lan ports on my sky router . The primary deco is now plugged into the router working fine but as i did not have any LAN ports left i plugged the seagate HD into the ethernet port on the primary deco unit. I have then two further deco m9 plus nodes around the house and they working fine. The seagate hd has a green led light on as before.

Into the router 4 LAN  ports are 1 a ethernet cable which is hardwired to my home office pc, 2 a cable to the deco node, 3 a cable to a powerline adapter and 4 the internet  input from my fibre to home box

If there is not a simple solution is there a way the LAN port which i use for a powerline access could have an adapter so took both the powerline adapter and the seagate HD were plugged into it . I cannot see the seagate hd now to see if there was a static IP to it but i could plug it in  to search for this if required

Options
2021-03-03 07:41:14

@AQuinn 

Hi, Did you set up the Deco M9 plus as the access point or wireless router?

Since the HD showed a normal light and when you said it did not work, did you mean that you could not access the HD via the wired PC or other devices connected to the powerline?

--if yes and Deco is on the router mode, there would be two IP ranges for the devices connected to Deco and SKY router;

So  if you want to access the HD, you might need to open the port for HD on the Deco;

While if it is on the access point mode, there should be no issue at all;

Thanks and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-03-03 11:02:05
I set the deco m9 on the default setting just plugging it in and following the setup ap. How do i check if it router mode or acces point mode How would i open the port for the hd is that via the deco ap i cannot see the hd now on my direct connected pc
Options
2021-03-05 03:48:42

@AQuinn 

Hi,

Where to check the working mode:

Please go to More>advanced>operating mode

As for the port forwarding, please refer to this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1797/

thank you.

Options