Problem with TimeMachine using AX73

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-26 13:23:25 - last edited 2022-06-23 09:42:09
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20200908 rel.69273(5553)

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a problem using my ax73 with timemachine in my apple devices.

I have a external disk formatted using HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)) plugged in my router, it's work normally, the backups starts and it's appear ok.

But everyday in the morning has a message saying that my backups not completed, and when I try backup start again it ask me if I want a start new backup, if I choose to start a new one the router restart every time that the mac try it.

If I remove the disk from router and plug it in my mac I received a message that the disk is need to repair, I try repair and it's always fail.

So, I need reformat my disk and star again the backup.

I always use that disk in other devices, like macbook and airport and never shown me a problem.

Anyone know what happen with these feature in the AX73?

Thanks

Options
10 Reply
Re:Problem with TimeMachine using AX73
2021-05-27 09:27:59

@sidneivl 

Is there any other HDD or disk available to test with the router? The tech team was made aware of your issue. They will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-11-19 14:10:02 - last edited 2021-11-19 15:49:01

@sidneivl i have time machine problem with AX73 too. in my case time machine can found ext hdd that connect with AX73 (afp) but stucking "looking for backup disk..." or "preparing back..." then error or nothing happen. unplug ext hdd plug directly to mac found disk partition error like your photo.

Options
2021-11-26 10:45:03

@Xess 

Hello, how about trying anildash's suggestion that enable Access Authentication on the router, will it work? You can see that some users solved the Time Machine issue by that:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/210818?replyId=543956

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-10 01:51:56 - last edited 2022-01-10 11:36:44

Recently I purchased AX73 (Japan) and enabled Time Machine with 1TB SSD via USB3.

Initially, AX73 restarted almost everytime when Time Machine backup started.

In my case, it looked like to be resolved by using HDD because SSD was consuming too much current and AX73 became unstable.
It was a little surprise that my SSD can consume more current than HDD but their specs say so:

- SSD: 1TB (Transcend SSD370S): 5V 1.5A => AX73 restarted always

- HDD: 1TB (HGST HTS721010A9E630): 5V 0.8A => OK

cf) Usually USB3.0 allows up to 5V 0.9A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Power_and_charging

I also tried different disk format (ExFAT, HFS+) and AX73's config (File share, Media share) but they didn't help.

As suggested somewhere else, I'm using factory AC adapter and its firmware is up-to-date: "Archer AX73(JP)/1.0.3 Build 20210717 rel.64680(4A50)".

Hope it helps.

Shin

Options
2022-01-10 06:10:31

@Shin-AX73_JP Thank you for share info,Shin

After try many thing with my HDD (5TB) and AX73. I found many case my AX73 restart loop or can't backup Time Machine or the worst case is partition crash and cannot recovery.

AX73 restart loop when backup Time Machine ---> Time Machine partition crash cause AX73 write something to disk and make it error ? (try with EXFAT,HFS+ partition all can crash)

I found it after plug HDD to check with my mac.

AX73 not restart but Time Machine not backup or stuck ---> AX73 write or make something with Time machine file ".sparesbundle" cannot mount from macOS that why cannot backup.

I see AX73 US model have new firmware that have a lot fix problem include usb stability and security. Hope TP-Link release firmware for EU,JP model soon.

Options
2022-01-10 11:45:12 - last edited 2022-01-10 11:51:32

>> I see AX73 US model have new firmware that have a lot fix problem include usb stability and security. Hope TP-Link release firmware for EU,JP model soon.

@Xess Ah, that's great to know, thank you!

Unfortunatelly, today my AX73 restarted twice (with HDD), so my above experience (SSD→HDD) woundn't be a 100% fix.

I'm expecting the new firmware for JP would be released soon and fix my issue too!

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax73/#Firmware

> Archer AX73(US)_V1_211119 - Published Date: 2021-12-28

> 7. Improved the USB stability and security;

> 8.Fixed the bug that the router will keep rebooting in some cases;

Options
2022-02-13 06:23:44

@Xess and all here: I have upgraded my AX73(JP) firmware to the latest Archer AX73(JP)_V1_211125 and there are no more unexpected restarts for three weeks. I'm using 1TB SSD formatted with MBR + exFAT and it's stable so far.

Options
2022-03-24 11:36:49 - last edited 2022-03-24 11:37:41

@Shin-AX73_JP this usb issue still not resolve. Last week i bought Oculus Quest2 and try to watch movie from USB HDD that attached to AX73. if use SMB it's looking ok no restart but if I use DLNA (enable Media Sharing in AX73) restart problem happened again when load files.

FYI.

Regard.

Options
2022-03-25 06:19:20

Xess wrote

@Shin-AX73_JP this usb issue still not resolve. Last week i bought Oculus Quest2 and try to watch movie from USB HDD that attached to AX73. if use SMB it's looking ok no restart but if I use DLNA (enable Media Sharing in AX73) restart problem happened again when load files.

FYI.

Regard.

@Xess Can I confirm the model and brand of the HDD that is attached to the AX73 again? Is it the same 5TB HDD? To assist and figure it out efficiently, I would like to forward your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

Options
2022-03-25 14:32:13

@Kevin_Z It's Seagate One Touch with Password 5TB.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1770

Replies: 10

Related Articles