Archer C80 Internet Not Working Due to DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-14 18:36:41
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 210308

Hi, something weird just happened to my router.

My internet got cut-off however, the LAN port's still working, so upon inspecting my settings, removing the DNS actually fixed my internet. When I came back to the router settings and put the DNS back on, the internet got cut-off again. This hasn't happened to me and I find it weird that the DNS suddenly caused this. Any leads as to why this is?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C80 Internet Not Working Due to DNS
2021-06-14 22:40:24

@DapperNetwork 

What was the DNS you were using? One of the big ones like Google or Cloudflare or another one?

If it's not one of the well-known ones, then it could be the DNS you were using is out of service. (be it temporary or permanently)

Options
2021-06-15 02:50:48
Thanks for the response! I'm actually using both Cloudflare as my main and Google as my secondary. Thing is, I changed my DNS to 9.9.9.9 (forgot what this was) and the other one was OpenDNS, both of which didn't work. If it helps, I tried testing it in my local systems wherein you put the DNS in the local network adapters and it didn't cut-off the internet when I did so
Options
2021-06-15 08:43:06

@DapperNetwork 

Just to confirm, what is the network layout, how is the C80 connected to the network, and where are those DNS servers? 

Where did you change the DNS server settings, can we have a screenshot? Does it mean if you leave it to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, then the internet works? If that is the case, I agree with woozle that the DNS you were using may be out of service.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-17 05:03:04

@Kevin_Z 

Regarding network layout, did you mean how my router and modem are physically set up? If so, my gateway router (it's a combo of a modem and a router from my ISP) has its LAN port connected to the INTERNET port of the C80, then the C80 has its LAN port connected directly into the PC.

For the DNS, I've been using Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) as my main and Google (8.8.8.8) for the longest time and it's just recently they failed HOWEVER, when I tried different DNS's, namely Cloud9 (9.9.9.9) and OpenDNS (208.67.222.220), they both didn't work. I'll be posting the screenshot below:

The one in red is where I put my ISP and the current address of that is linked to my ISP's gateway router as of now.

Options
2021-06-17 06:47:29

@DapperNetwork 

So this means the internet on the C80 is not working no matter which DNS server you are using? May I know who is your ISP? Do you have internet access if you connect the computer directly to the ISP gateway router? If you do, please write down the IP and DNS info the computer gets from it, then try to put the DNS server address back into the C80, check if the internet works.

BTW, how about the LED status on the C80, is it red or green?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-17 15:35:05

@DapperNetwork 

Check if you can successfully "ping" the four different DNS's IP addresses from the router's Advanced -> System -> Diagnostics menu.

Options