Archer C7 v5 / RE300 v1: OneMesh & offline-schedule = 24/7 WIFI-signal :-(

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-21 10:13:36 - last edited 2021-06-24 13:07:05
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20210125 rel.37999(4555)

Hi all,

I am using an Archer C7 v5 together with a RE300 v1 in an OneMesh-network (2,4GHz only). Both on the latest firmware.

I have set an offline-schedule for both devices and was always wondering about (1.) the hidden 2nd WIFI (with TP-LINK MACs) of both devices during daytime and (2.) why both devices send exactly these WIFI-signals (detectable via inSSIDER and WiFi-Analyzer) during offline-time.

Now I know the reason. It's the OneMesh option. Thank you to all people of the thread about the hidden network (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/170160?page=1) here in this forum.

I wrote to the German support, who answered that it is necessary for the RE300 to always stay active, otherwise it would not be able to connect to the Archer C7 instantly. So I deplugged the RE300 from the electric wall socket and plugged it into an timer switch socket. The RE300 now is completely off the electric grid from 0:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.

During this time it sends no WIFI-signal, no surprise here. At 6 a.m. it boots and connects to the Archer C7 within a minute and with no problems at all. Hence, the explanation from the German support was wrong.

As I switched of 5GHz (because I really don't need the speed and want to reduce electro smog), I saw that both devices do not send out any 5GHz-signals at all.

To sum up, I proved that both devices are capable of "switching off WIFI-signals completely via software" and connect smoothly even after electricity loss. Consequently, it must be possible to use OneMesh in combination with an offline-schedule, where WIFI-signals are 100% off via software during a certain time period.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dear TP-Link-support: Please check if you can correct your OneMesh-firmware on this point as there is absolutely no reason to have 24/7-WIFI-signal as proven, thanks.

Best regards from Austria

Sigfrid

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C7 v5 / RE300 v1: OneMesh & offline-schedule = 24/7 WIFI-signal :-(-Solution
2021-06-24 07:50:58 - last edited 2021-06-24 13:07:05

@Sigfrid_Xanten 

Thank you very much for all the detailed information and testing. We can confirm now that the current situation you report is normal, the hidden Onemesh network will not be disabled by the Wireless Schedule off settings. If this annoys you, you may need to disable the Onemesh feature as a workaround, and we will record your request of disabling the Onemesh network as well as the main one when there is a wireless schedule in the system, will report to the related department to optimize this in the future.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C7 v5 / RE300 v1: OneMesh & offline-schedule = 24/7 WIFI-signal :-(
2021-06-23 01:57:59

@Sigfrid_Xanten 

Hi Sigfrid, when you mention the offline schedule feature, do you refer to Wireless Schedule feature on the Archer C7? Do you mean that when the Wi-Fi is set to be off, but there are still two hidden networks? We will confirm this and update here.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Archer C7 v5 / RE300 v1: OneMesh & offline-schedule = 24/7 WIFI-signal :-(
2021-06-23 07:24:57

@Kevin_Z 

Hi! Yes, correct with both suggestions. Sorry if my explanation was not accurate. Thank you for your support. smiley

In the web interface of the Archer C7 it is under the "Advanced" and the tab "Wireless", called "Wireless Schedule". For the RE300 it can be found under "Advanced Settings" and "Power Schedule". I set the RE300 to be offline from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. and the Archer C7 from 12 p.m. to 5 a.m. So the Archer C7 is on when the RE300 deactivates in the evening and boots in the morning.

Both the Archer C7 and the RE300 each emit a visible SSID (e.g. sifgrid_WIFI) and an invisible/hidden SSID (OneMesh-settings). All in all there are 4 SSIDs (with separate MAC adresses) in my home (apart from the neighbours of course who stop their WIFI in the night completely). When both the Archer C7 and the RE300 are off due to the Schedules both each emit their hidden SSID (OneMesh-settings). So, in conclusion the Schedule in my opinion is useless in that case, as the WIFI-radiation (and electricity consumption) is always on.

I understand that the meant-to-be-setting of TP-Link originally was to supply the user with a good mesh-network. Appreciated! But as I checked and found out, the OneMesh-network is not needed during night-time (Schedule-Off-Time) to connect instantly in the morning. Even after complete loss of electricity both devices connect within a minute and OneMesh works great afterwards.

I am considering to deactivate OneMesh and use the RE300 as a repeater only (with less functionality but no WIFI-radiation in the night), but that is not what I wanted and the TP-Links devices are capable of.

+++

Btw: I was wondering why the Power Schedule of the RE300 is so precise to be set in [hh:mm] while the Wireless Schedule of the Archer C7 is only hourly. (Another topic, of course.wink)

Options
Re:Archer C7 v5 / RE300 v1: OneMesh & offline-schedule = 24/7 WIFI-signal :-(-Solution
2021-06-24 07:50:58 - last edited 2021-06-24 13:07:05

@Sigfrid_Xanten 

Thank you very much for all the detailed information and testing. We can confirm now that the current situation you report is normal, the hidden Onemesh network will not be disabled by the Wireless Schedule off settings. If this annoys you, you may need to disable the Onemesh feature as a workaround, and we will record your request of disabling the Onemesh network as well as the main one when there is a wireless schedule in the system, will report to the related department to optimize this in the future.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 651

Replies: 3

Related Articles