Fibre broadband router replacement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-03 10:03:37
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello 

I just purchased an Archer AX10 (AX1500) router to replace the standard router provided with my Sky fibre broadband. I was hoping that the TP Link router would improve the Wifi signal in my home. With the original Sky router installed, a speed test shows that I have the max 500Gbps available, so I know that the internet service works.

However when I install the AX10 the "internet on" light on the front of the units is orange, whereas it should be green.

I followed the step by step installation advice from TP link, and tried it several times but I always get the same result.

I tried swapping the WAN cable supplied with the AX10 for the WAN cable supplied with the Sky router but also got the same error.

The Optical Network Terminal (ONT) is mounted on the wall close to the router and the actual fibre cable to my home is terminated into this ONT box.  

The WAN cable comes from the ONT.

I hope someone can help me solve this problem, thanks you.

JPK

Options
4 Reply
Re:Fibre broadband router replacement
2021-11-03 22:47:22

@JPK303 

Which type of WAN port setting Sky fibre broadband router uses ?

AX1500 supports these:

Also there could be a MAC address protection implemented - in this case you need to clone the ISP router MAC address to the AX1500 WAN port.

If you are not sure about these settings calll your ISP and they should be able to guide you through that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-04 11:51:02

@terziyski Thanks you. I also got the same advise from TP support by email so I'm going to do the MAC clone.

Options
2021-11-09 13:02:13

@JPK303 

Just to give an update.

See TP support advise below following confirmation of the broadband configuration from Sky Ireland.

Looks like I'm stuck with the Sky router. 

Information received from Sky.

"We offer a static IP address only. 

We have a VDSL connection type known as "DHCP Option 61" / "MER" 

I wouldn't be sure is a VLAN ID needed or not."

From TP Support.

Thank you for the information provided. According to what we have known, if sky use "DHCP Option 61" / "MER", the third-party router is not supported.

Like when you connect the computer to the Wan cable directly, it said "unidentified network - No Internet".

It seems sky make some limitations, sorry to inform you our router cannot be worked in that case, please contact the retailer to return it.

Many thanks for your troubleshooting, cooperation and patience.

Options
2021-11-09 13:19:39

@JPK303 

You can still use the AX10 Wi-Fi if you decide to keep it.

You can extend your wireless network with AX10 setting it to AP mode (Case 1).

Or you can disable Sky router wi-fi and use only the AX10 wi-fi in AP mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options