SKY Fibre Broadband - Which TP Wifi router is best

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-29 15:25:06

Hi

I hope someone can help me?

I have sky and they have rather unhelpfully discontinued the sky broadband buddy app, which as a parent has been a lifesaver for control over the kids devices etc.

A bit of digging on the sky forums have suggested a TP product to be able to use the Tether app, which has similar features/ parental controls. I popped into Currys to find out which one would work the best with my fibre broadband as the sky forums seemed to indicate that there can be problems with compatibility. however, the 'expert' i spoke to wasn't very knowledgeable and pretty much repeated what I said I already knew.

So from what I can make out so far - 

• I will have to connect a new router via an ethernet cable to the sky router already in place
  • the sky router will act as a modem if this is the case, I can't just replace it
  • Sky are tricky and won't let you replace their router
  • Something to do with MER?? Hence me asking about which router will work

As you can see I have limited knowledge, I am fairly tech savvy so with instructions I should be okay to set up but I don't want to buy anything until I know it will definitely work. As the man in Currys also helpfully told me, I can't return it if I've opened the box/slash used it!

Please can you help me regain the control I once had over the internet in my home - I have a 17 year ADHD daughter who cannot limit herself time wise and I need to be able to switch things off at night to support her.

Many thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:SKY Fibre Broadband - Which TP Wifi router is best
2023-05-04 08:28:10

Hello @SoccerMum79 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

In order to get clarity and assist you accordingly, I would like to know the below details:

1. Do you have internet access when connecting a computer directly to the Sky router (in modem mode)?

This is very important, and it will determine if you can use the TP-Link router with it. If yes, then you can choose any of the Wi-Fi routers as per your requirements and or budget. You can get all the models and specifications from the below website:

https://www.tp-link.com/explore/wifi-router/

If not, please confirm with Sky first to check what special settings are required when connecting a third-party router to their Sky router. None of the Wi-Fi routers supports MER / DHCP Option 60/61 at the moment. Only the DSL modem routers support it when working in DSL modem router mode, such as Archer VR2100.

2. Regarding the Parental Control features, TP-Link provides HomeCare and HomeShield solutions. For HomeCare models, please check this list. For HomeShield, please check this one.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 1

Related Articles