Maxis Fibre Router Replacement with Deco M5 to support VOIP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-03 09:27:05 - last edited 2022-04-06 00:59:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Builtd 20210819 Rel. 43499

Hi Guys,

I recently ported out of TM Unifi to Maxis Fibre, and was provided with a Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router. As you know, Maxis uses LAN2 of our existing modem (in my case the TM Unifi Home Fibre modem) so they do not provide us with their own modems.

The problem I have:

The Maxis VOIP is via the Maxis Fibre router as opposed to TM Unifi's which is via the modem itself.

I chose the Deco M5 because of the security and anti-virus features, which will all disappear if I set the Deco M5 to Access Point mode. Therefore, I've decided to do away without the Maxis Fibre router and use my Deco M5 instead.

The problem with it is that my VOIP will not work without the Maxis Fibre router.

Question:
Does anybody know of a way to replace the Maxis Fibre router with the Deco M5 that will still support VOIP? 

Sincerely, Andrew
Options
6 Reply
Re:Maxis Fibre Router Replacement with Deco M5 to support VOIP
2022-04-06 08:56:50

@YanAndrew 

Have you ever tried to connect Maxis router behind the main Deco, then check whether the VOIP registration could still work on Maxis?

(You could also turn on UPNP on the Deco APP to see if it helped.)

best regards and wait for your reply.

Options
2022-04-06 15:02:51 - last edited 2022-04-06 15:06:17

Hello @David-TP, yes I have and the VOIP works that way. UPnP has always been enabled.

However , the problem with that connection is that the main mesh router would be in Access Point mode, wouldn't it? That would mean I would lose quite a number of features of the Deco M5 which is not what I want. I decided on the Deco M5 for those features.

So far, I can only find a tutorial on replacing the Maxis Fibre router with a third-party non-mesh router to get VOIP, but not one with a mesh router, which really bugs!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue.

Sincerely, Andrew
Options
2022-04-07 02:43:51

@YanAndrew 

Thank you very much for your kind update

What I suggested is like the following layout:

Fibre service---TM Unifi home fibre modem--<Ethernet>-Deco M5-<Ethernet>---Maxis Wi-Fi 6 router with VOIP

then enable "SIP ALG " and "UPNP"on Deco M5.

I could not guarantee it could work 100% but you could have a try on the Maxis router to see whether the VOIP service is still able to communicate with the VOIP server.

(I see it once from another user and he did not feedback anymore.)

There is another suggestion and you could have a look: OneMesh networks, such as Archer VR2100V+ RE650/RE300

https://www.tp-link.com/en/onemesh/

Options
2022-04-07 10:29:15

Hi @David-TP,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've just given it a try and unfortunately, it does not work. The VOIP still does not work.

Looks like there is no straightforward solution to my issue. I think my last resort is to go to Maxis and urge them to either device a usable solution and/or communicate with TP-Link to achieve that.

I appreciate your help though.

Sincerely, Andrew
Options
2022-04-11 09:29:09 - last edited 2022-04-11 09:31:27

@YanAndrew 

Hi, I got some feedback from users that Deco X73-DSL seems ready for sale in AU and it supports VOIP feature.

maybe you could have a look:

https://www.tp-link.com/au/search/?q=Deco+X73-DSL&t=product&category=home

Best regards.

Options
2022-04-30 13:02:21

@David-TP unfortunately, that is not a solution for me. I paid RM600+ for my 3-pack mesh network not long ago and I chose the Deco M5 for its features. I'm not looking to buy another set in a hurry.

Thank you for highlighting it though.

Sincerely, Andrew
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2472

Replies: 6

Related Articles