Router Infected Showing On Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-18 13:20:53
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone. On my Windows 10 PC, an 'your router is infected' error pops up on a regular basis. I don't know why this thing coming. Can anyone tell me how can I solve this issue?
Device: Archer A6

Options
5 Reply
Re:Router Infected Showing On Windows 10
2021-12-18 13:40:13 - last edited 2021-12-18 13:42:29

@EddieCarroll 

Hi,

The first thing would be to find out where exactly the message is coming from, because I doubt the "your router is infected" message is generated by Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system itself.

Have you installed any third-party "Security", "Anti-Malware" or "Anti-Virus" software? Like, Avast, Avira, Norton, etc?

Options
2021-12-20 10:28:32
Yeah, Avast is installed on my Windows 10 system.
Options
2021-12-20 14:20:13

@EddieCarroll 

I am not familiar with the user interface of Avast, but I would think that like other Antivirus software it should somewhere keep a list of recently found threats and for each threat in the list there should be a way to show more "details" about that threat. 

If not, then wait for the "router is infected" pop-up the appear again and see if you can get more details if you click on that pop-up.

Obviously, an Antivirus software running on a computer that is connected to a Wi-Fi router has no way of actually scanning for viruses or malware inside the router's main memory or the router's internal Linux file system.

Apparently, some things that these Antivirus programs may report as "infection" or "threat" include open ports or DNS server addresses that they don't like, etc.

In case you are unable to get any details about that "router is infected" messages, but are really anxious that your router may indeed have somehow been infected, then you could consider doing a factory reset of the router. Before you do that just make sure that you will be able to configure your router from scratch again, especially the settings for the Internet connection!

Options
2021-12-22 11:22:00
I am a little concerned about this popup. I did some research and found some articles like this https://silicophilic.com/avast-says-my-router-is-infected/ one. Would it be a good idea to proceed with it?
Options
2021-12-22 14:19:10

@EddieCarroll 

Well, if you have some free time on your hands and know how to setup your A6's settings from scratch, then go ahead and perform a "Factory Restore" from the Advanced -> System Tools -> Backup & Restore menu of the router's configuration webpage. Like the article says it would be best to choose a new login password when you re-configure your router.

If your Avast shows the same description as shown in the article you've linked to (says something about DNS settings have been modified), then maybe skip the Factory Restore for now and see if manually changing the DNS settings in your A6 can already get rid of the "Router is infected" pop-ups.

To do that go to the menu shown in below screenshot, unhide the advanced settings by clicking on "(v) Advanced", select "Use the Following DNS Addresses" and then manually enter some common DNS server's IP address in the field "Primary DNS:", for example 8.8.8.8 for Google or 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare.

After you've done that go to the submenu "DHCP Server" and make sure the fields "Primary DNS: ____ (Optional)" and "Secondary DNS: ____ (Optional)" are empty.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 527

Replies: 5

Related Articles