TP-Link Deco M3 Wifi Mesh (3 repeaters)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-01 09:35:43
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 74289

Hi. I have a 3 repeater setup using TP Link Deco M4R(EU). That model is written on one of the repeaters.  Intermittently, the wifi disconnects and there is no internet. I've been suffering from this issue for months, and it has been driving me crazy.  

I have them setup like this:

[Hallway]   <----- (signal source: wifi)------->  [Living room] (Main, connected to internet) <----(signal source: ethernet) ----> [Bedroom]

The 'Living Room' one is connected to the internet router.  They are setup in 'Wireless Router' mode. 

The most disconnections happen when I am connected to the 'Bedroom' one.  I have no idea how I can test what's wrong, or what I can do.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link Deco M3 Wifi Mesh (3 repeaters)
2022-02-02 14:04:33

@KarlC 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

May I know what is the deco LED status when issue occurs?

For the unstable connection issue, please refer to below guidance to troubleshoot. 

What can I do if the internet connection is unstable when connected to the Deco network?

If your problem can not be solved, please tell me which case your problem belongs to and what troubleshooting steps you have done. Thanks~

Options
2022-02-07 23:14:07

@TP-Link 

I was away and just saw the reply.  By Deco LED status, which one do you mean? Is it the LED on top of each node/repeater? In that case, usually it is white. I'll pay closer attention when it happens, as it happens quite randomly.

About troubleshooting steps - not much. I have no idea what to check for to troubleshoot the issue. Does it make a difference if they are setup as 'Wireless Router' mode, vs 'Access Point'? The internet modem connects via dynamic IP, given by the service provider.

Regards,

Karl

Options
2022-02-08 05:57:55

@KarlC 

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me.

Wireless router mode is fine.

It is suggested to install the debug firmware on this link:

Wireless clients and Satellite Deco fail to connect to Main Deco under Spectrum / Starhub

Since all the Deco units stay solid white which means Deco is still online, what are the clients that disconnected from the Wi-Fi a lot?

Or would all the wireless devices drop connection randomly?

How did you restore the connection on these clients? reconnecting to the Wi-Fi or restarting the Deco?

Please try to turn off the "Mesh Technology" on these devices from the Deco APP.

By the way, could you please swap the location of the Bedroom Deco and Hallway Deco in case a specific Deco might cause the disconnection?

Options
2022-02-08 16:50:46

@KarlC 

Unfortunately I will be going away abroad for 2 months in a few days, and part of the place is rented out. I want to refrain from installing debugging firmware while Im not here, because as it is, it mostly works - This might introduce issues which are a hassle to solve when Im not here.

I personally use a laptop and a smartphone, and both experience intermittent disconnections.  I have never managed to find a pattern, and I'm not even sure if they disconnect at the same time.  Connection is restored solely by waiting most of the time - I do nothing.

What happens when you turn off "Mesh Technology"?  The whole point of having the mesh system was for that, so they can seamlessly switch between nodes.  

I get the issue both when I am connected to the Living Room Deco (Main), and also to the Bedroom Deco one.  Given my physical location in the property, it is very rare that I connect to the Hallway Deco.

Options