Slow wired speed TP-Link Archer C7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-20 15:28:33 - last edited 2022-04-20 15:33:33
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20211210 rel.51212(4555)

Hey,

I just recently bought a new router for my apartment, after some quick research and pricing debate I ended up settling for the Archer C7 as it was enough for my current internet speed. I am not really used to working with routers and don't really know what half of the options on the router do but I'll try my best to explain my issue.

I did some tests before trying to set up the router, it is important to know that I usually connect my laptop directly into the Ethernet port in the wall which is my only wired access point. The connection is a Gigabit connection and I'll post some of the speed tests. I always run 2 separate tests as I was told that Ookla was not really designed for the internet speed I currently have. (I was given the 2nd test by my ISP support)

Ookla: | Ping: 7 ms | Download: 588.82 Mbps | Upload 816.42 Mbps |

belwue: | Ping: 9 ms | Download: 941.60 Mbps | Upload 921.77 Mbps | Jitter 27.51 ms |

These two are from before starting the router setup.

I then decided to run another test just to make sure my internet speed was similar as the one above and these were the results:

Ookla: | Ping: 31 ms | Download: 167.29 Mbps | Upload 45.94 Mbps |

belwue: | Ping: 62 ms | Download: 34.20 Mbps | Upload 52.28 Mbps | Jitter 153.34 ms |

For some reason the wired connection slowed down considerably whereas my wireless connection is staying withing the expected range of 800-ish Mbps (I turned on Smart Connect and this was measured using my smartphone, Ookla says its about 300Mbps but the network information displayed on my phone says it's about 850Mbps). I've tried some suggestions I found on the forum but to no avail, I tried turning the NAT Boost on and off, but when off the connection was even slower. I don't know if I bought a router that is not good enough for the internet plan I have or if it's a mistake in my configuration.

My router settings are pretty much the standard ones, turning QoS on or off changes the speed even with the laptop being prioritized. Download speeds with QoS off are as follows:

Ookla: | Ping: 30 ms | Download: 360.51 Mbps | Upload 48.88 Mbps |

belwue: | Ping: 61 ms | Download: 81.03 Mbps | Upload 198.82 Mbps | Jitter 24.28 ms |

Other than playing around with QoS and the aforementioned settings I didn't change anything else. So I don't know if I should try returning the router and getting a better one or if it was my fault for not correctly setting up the router.

Some system/important Information that might be of help:

- Both cables connecting the router to the ethernet port and laptop are Cat-6a and brand new.

- I did upgrade the firmware before doing the tests using the online upgrade option to the latest version (at the time of posting): 1.2.0 Build 20211210 rel.51212

- The negotiation speed for both LAN1 and Internet are 1000 Mbps full duplex

- Name of the Wireless Network and Passwords were changed but I doubt this has any impact

- OneMesh is off, tried turning it on and off but it doesn't really change anything

- I have not yet tried to restore it to factory settings

Options
2 Reply
Re:Slow wired speed TP-Link Archer C7
2022-04-21 18:17:35 - last edited 2022-04-21 18:18:40

@JosseS 

Hi,

When you say "These two are from before starting the router setup" do you mean this is before you physically installed the router or do you mean you did get this speed through the Archer C7, but you hadn't started yet to modify any settings at that point?

In case it is the latter, then it could be that one or more of the features you configured have caused the workload to increase substantially, overloading the rather dated hardware of this router. (apparently the C7 V5 utilizes the CPU of a Qualcomm QCA9563 SoC, which was introduced around the year 2015)

To be honest, despite the Archer C7 being called a "Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router" it is perhaps not really suited to handle a Gigabit Internet connection.

Options
Re:Slow wired speed TP-Link Archer C7
2022-04-21 18:52:12

@woozle 

Hey,

Thanks for the answer! I mean it as in before even setting up the router, just the laptop plugged directly into the wall.

Anyways, I think I'll try getting a refund and buying a slightly better model.

Thanks for all the help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1105

Replies: 2

Related Articles