How to limit device amount or how to block more devices from connecting?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-04 22:27:16
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I love the deco s4 system, but to my surprise, an unknown device managed to logon to one of my deco devices!! Even with a 20-letter + symbol password!

HOW do i limit decices that can connect to my deco network, and can i make it so i must ACCEPT a new device to be connected before it connects, or?? I need a solution to this as it is an annoying thing that occurs.

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to limit device amount or how to block more devices from connecting?
2022-08-05 07:16:36

@Winterland 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think the current issue is also related to the private address/randomized MAC addresses and the "unknown" device is actually a home device in disguise.

Alexandre has a very precise explanation here about this feature, which might help to understand what happened in your case:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/576100?replyId=1119002

He is right that there hasn't been a better solution for this case unless users are willing to disable the randomized MAC addresses feature on each device.

And The "Whitelist" feature request currently has not been accepted yet.

The most promising feature that I have received and is also under consideration now, is a pre-set parental control profile for new devices and users could customize the permission per their needs.

It is also highly appreciated if you have any other better ideas.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:How to limit device amount or how to block more devices from connecting?
2022-08-05 14:45:46

@David-TP while i dont have better ideas, other than:

1: Let us add custom number of devices that can be connected to each deco, totalling 100 or less devices. That would make things so much easier for smaller families and those who share a connection with its neigbhors.

2: Let us manually decide upload/download speed for each deco instead of a total amount!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 950

Replies: 2

Related Articles