Cannot connect range extender to Virgin media wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-11 06:47:26
Model: RE550  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0

I have problems with WiFi in my house and garden,  I have a virgin media router. Virgin media supplied a range extender but I still have dead zones. I had a TP link AC750 range extender but that will not connect earlier by using the WPS button or with a Lan cable. I thought the AC750 was not working so I bought a Qlocom extender but that would not connect so I returned it to Amazon. I have now bought a TP link RE550 but I can't get that to work either. I have tried Tether, WPS and a Lan cable but when I find the extender in WiFi in my phone and try to connect it says Network not in Range..

I will ring Virgin media but I doubt they will help with a range extender they did not supply. Any ideas?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Cannot connect range extender to Virgin media wifi
2022-09-13 07:34:07

@RichHeal 

May I know do you wish to extend the network through Wireless or via Ethernet cable? Do you wish to connect tp-link extender to the router directly? 

1. If you wish to extend the network to a place which is pretty far from router, connecting router & RE via Ethernet cable would be more ideal for a stable network, at that time RE works in AP mode and wired to the router/AP.

2.  Via Wireless, when setup extender, put RE and router in the same room or very close to each other, reset extender and then set it up. 

Then relocate extender to the halfway between router or Wi-Fi dead zone. 

Here are some instructions that should help:TP-Link Range Extender Setup (Range Extender Mode)

How to confirm whether my range extender is successfully configured and in the best location

If still the same, can you share a photo of error message & the Leds on RE here? 

Options