Maximum internet speed on 2.4GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-25 08:12:59

What is the maximum internet speed we can get on 2.4GHz? what is the maximum internet speed a 2.4GHz device can transmit?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Maximum internet speed on 2.4GHz
2022-09-25 14:19:26

@nyonyo 

Hi,

That depends very much on the particular hardware that is involved. (router and client device)

Assuming both devices are located within the same room (i.e. no thick walls in between)

- the best hardware money can buy might be able to achieve 500 Mbps actual real-world speed over a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection.

- with an older and lower-end device the real-world speed could be as low as 40 Mbps.

Options
2022-09-26 11:44:38

@woozle 

woozle wrote

Hi,

That depends very much on the particular hardware that is involved. (router and client device)

So why do I always get around 40's no matter The 2.4GHz is 802.11n 300, 450 or 600 Mbps, no obstacle or barrier between router n client, no nothing, and client sit only 2 ft from the router

Assuming both devices are located within the same room (i.e. no thick walls in between)

Not only in the same room, even when I put my phone on the router the maximum speed I get is 40's, internet plan is 100Mbps

- the best hardware money can buy might be able to achieve 500 Mbps actual real-world speed over a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection.

real world or theoretical hypothetical?

- with an older and lower-end device the real-world speed could be as low as 40 Mbps.

Archer C80 and Samsung A71

Options
2022-09-26 17:57:58

@nyonyo 

A Samsung A71 should be faster than 40 Mbps.

Would you mind installing an app called "AIDA64" on this phone and then check its "Link Speed" in the menu "Network", "Wi-Fi" section?

I am not sure about the Samsung A71, but phones of this price range often have only one antenna. Given that, its 2.4 GHz "Link Speed" should be something like 150 Mbps or 200 Mbps. If lower, then something may be wrong.

Beside that, make sure the "Channel Width" setting of your Archer C80 is set to "40 MHz" for the 2.4 GHz band. If this setting is on "Auto", then router's often switch to 20 MHz if they detect other Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity.

Regarding the fastest 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. A competing company offers a 4x4 Wi-Fi adapter for PCs named the "PCE-AC88". If combined with a router from that same company that matches these Wi-Fi capabilities it offers a theoretical maximum speed of 1000 Mbps on 2.4 GHz, which should make 500 Mbps real-world speed possible.

Options
2022-09-27 01:13:06

@woozle I've done all your suggestions, in fact, I don't have to install Aida64 just to measure the link speed, the phone can measure the link speed by itself, but all right if you insist, as far as my experience I always get the maximum speed of 54Mbps on 2.4GHZ 802.11g, but never get 150, let alone 200Mbps on 2.4GHz 802.11n, no matter it is N150, 300, 450 or 600 like Archer C80, 72Mbps is the maximum link speed I've ever got

This screenshot is not from Archer C80, but from my ISP modem/router, ZTE670L, it is a dual-band router too, I just want to show you that I always set the channel width to 40MHz on 2.4GHz

and let me tell you something, link speed has no correlation with internet speed, here are pictures of my Samsung galaxy A51 connected to 30Mbps wifi, both on 2.4 and 5GHz, as you can see though the 2.4 has only 72Mbps link speed, it gets full 30Mbps internet speed, on the other hand, the link speed of the 5GHz is 433Mbps but it gets only 7 Mbps internet speed 

2.4GHz

5GHz

And lastly, can you show me the proof that there is a real-world 500Mbps internet speed on 2.4GHz, the fastest I've seen so far on youtube is 170Mbps, but he didn't answer me how to get that speed

Options
2022-09-27 08:36:04

woozle wrote

Regarding the fastest 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. A competing company offers a 4x4 Wi-Fi adapter for PCs named the "PCE-AC88". If combined with a router from that same company that matches these Wi-Fi capabilities it offers a theoretical maximum speed of 1000 Mbps on 2.4 GHz, which should make 500 Mbps real-world speed possible.

I just realized this is an adapter/receiver, what I want to know is the fastest 2.4GHz transmitter (router/AP)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 16001

Replies: 5

Related Articles