AX73 drops wifi connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-28 07:55:16
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I recently purchased an AX73 to upgrade from an AX10.  

After setting up the new router and updating the firmware, I've had constant wifi disconnections.  I noticed that running a speed test will cause a disconnection during the download portion of the test. Aside from that the disconnections seem to happen at random. 

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX73 drops wifi connection
2022-09-28 08:20:40

@japaul32 

Seems similar issue as reported by airchaser here, and TP-Link suggests changing the wireless security to WPA2-PSK[AES] for the 2.4G network.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-09-28 08:29:39

@Liverpool20 

Thank you. I checked the security for both 2.4 and 5g and they were already set to WPA2-PSK. 

Options
2022-09-29 01:57:28

@japaul32 

That's bad. So are both the 2.4G and 5G networks dropping the connection? Are you enabling the Smart Connect feature on the AX73? What if you try disabling it? I saw some threads mentioned that there might be issues when enabling the Smart Connect.

Once Smart Connect is disabled, then you can try to modify the wireless settings on the AX73, choose some clear channels for both the 2.4G and 5G networks, then monitor.

BTW, what are the devices connecting to the 2.4G and 5G networks, are they all experiencing the same dropouts? How about the wired connection on AX73, is it stable?

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-09-29 02:24:37 - last edited 2022-09-29 02:49:30

@Liverpool20 

I disabled Smart Connect when I initially setup the router. 

I currently have my cell phone, wife's cell phone, and an Nvidia Shield connected. I noticed that during increased downloading activity wifi will drop.  I'm thinking about reducing the transmit power or perhaps it's a channel issue. All of these are connected to the 5G, but even when I connect to the 2.4g I have the same issue.  I haven't had the chance to test the wired connection, but I'll try and do that tomorrow. 

I do have a ticket with TP-Link and it's been escalated to a senior engineer.  I'm hoping they can resolve the issue. 

**EDIT: I just realized that I had been using the plug from the AX10 this entire time.  I swapped to the plug that came with the AX73 and I haven't had any drops since, even while running speed tests on 2 devices while watching Netflix.  I'm a dummy, but thank you @Liverpool20 for your help.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 4

Related Articles