2.4Ghz band intermittently stops working every day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-23 23:06:18 - last edited 2022-09-23 23:08:52
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220316 rel.35540(5553)

I'm getting pretty fed up with this router, this issue, and the customer service of this company.

Like many other users (link, link, link), the 2.4Ghz band on my router intermittently stops working every day (the SSID still shows, but not a single device can connect to it). The only way to get it working again, is to reboot the router, or disable then re-enable the 2.4Ghz band. This is a huge problem, because many of my IoT devices use the 2.4Ghz connection.

I seem to have isolated the issue to occuring only when the security is set to WPA-PSK2[AES]+WPA-PSK[TKIP]. If it is set to just WPA2-PSK[AES], the 2.4Ghz band seems fine and doesn't drop every day. This is still an issue however, because my ESP8266 IoT devices will only connect (for whatever reason) to the 2.4Ghz band when the security is set to WPA-PSK2[AES]+WPA-PSK[TKIP].

I have contacted the TP-link support, and thus far I have been provided 3 non-solutions:

"Just try to use static IP on ESP8266. According to the feedback from our customer, this configuration will be able to work well."

I've tried using a static IP on the ESP8266 devices, none of them will connect when only WPA2-PSK[AES] is selected. This is not a solution.

If you'd like to use WPA, I would suggest downgrade the firmware. Choose "Archer AX73(US)_V1_211119".

You want me to install version Archer AX73(US)_V1_211119. Since this version was released, two other versions have been released (V1_211222 and V1_1.2.1 Build 20220316) which mention in the release notes:

• Improved system stability and performance.
  • Fixed some system vulnerabilities and improved system security. 

You're telling me recommending customers to open their routers to vulnerabilities and system security issues, receive worse stability and performance, just to be able to use an advertised feature and available setting in your router is acceptable?

"If you're not satisfied with the previous suggestions or the AX73, you can return the product if it's within the returning window. We can provide model recommendation to help you change the model."

It's not within the return window. I was using the ISP provided router until I recently changed providers this week. Passing on the responsibility to the customer to return a product, rather than actually fixing a bug is completely unacceptable. Hell of a chance I'll ever buy another TP-link product at this point, no matter the model.

Please provide a firmware update. This is not an old router. Fix your product.

Options
2 Reply
Re:2.4Ghz band intermittently stops working every day
2022-09-27 00:41:07

Bumping, still no resolution from tech support. This forum seems to be the only way of bringing visibility to this nonsense.

Options
Re:2.4Ghz band intermittently stops working every day
2022-09-27 11:12:47

Hello @airchaser 

As far as I can confirm, the support engineers have contacted you via email, and they are also willing to help look into the issue further. Could you please provide the models of the ESP8266 devices, what are they?

When you choose WPA2-PSK[AES] for the 2.4G network, do those ESP8266 devices refuse to connect to the network? Have you tried to connect them to the 2.4G Guest Network, will they connect?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 447

Replies: 2

Related Articles