OpenVPN server not working to connect anymore

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-05 19:15:33
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20220603 rel.3137(4555)

Hi,

I have been using openvpn server feature to connect to my router from anywhere. Everything was working fine till this day, when it seems to be down completly. Does not accept connections anymore, the ip seemed to have changed, i exported another config file with the new ip, did not work. I have set up dns, edited the config file accordingly, nothing happend. If i ping the dns, it responds with my ip, so it works. My ISP router, before the tplink, is in bridge mode.

The VPN feature worked for 1 and a half months then, bye bye.

any ideas that might help?

thank you in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:OpenVPN server not working to connect anymore
2022-10-05 19:55:16 - last edited 2022-10-05 20:16:39

@Marius1234 

New info, with tcp works, with udp does not.

but at first, worked very well with udp.

if i do a port scan on TCP, openvpn port shows.

if i do the same thing when UDP is selected on ax20, openvpn port is not showing.

turned off firewall

Seems to be something with the router?

Options
2022-10-08 06:44:46

@Marius1234 

Can you confirm which IP address changed? Were there any changes in the network or on the router, such as installing a new firmware on the AX20?

Try going through this FAQ to check the basic settings on the AX20 as well as on the client devices that you are trying to connect to the VPN server.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-10-08 07:51:55

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, my public ip address as i do not have a static ip address service. When that happend, i re-exported de config file from the router with the new address, did not work. Then, i aquired a ddns service, which works when pinging, routes to my current ip address. Changed the ip in config file with the ddns, as in one of the faq step, did not work.

After that, i updated the router, still nothing changed.

Out of curiosity, I changed from UDP to TCP and was alive again, the openvpn client on my laptop, as well as on my phone, connected.

The only problem here is that speed has reduced. 

What seems to have stopped UDP from working? 

(First time when i configured the openvpn, when i got the router, worked on UDP out of the box, 'plug and play')

Options